1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting from scratch: questions on power, set up and amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 16, 2015.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I swear I have used search and been reading and I got a lot of great info but I've some other questions I didm't see. I'm starting from scratch... again. I just got that wild bug that said take everything apart and redo it and sell things and replace. So I did/am.

My bass cab is a Barefaced SuperTwin. I use 2 EHX Bass MicroSynths, some kind of dirt (HBE Big-D or Hematoma, Mantic Vitriol), Behringer UV300, MicroPOG, Nimbus bass verb, DM-3, RC-20, Co-Pilot Plantoid ring mod. I do lots of noise sometimes and soundscape/texture stuff and use a slide a good bit (pretty sure you can find some things I've done in my signature. Callado, Lucy Stoner and Oceanray.) Occasionally I'll throw in a PN-2 and/or DD-3 for good measure. I mainly use a G&L SB-1.

I was using a GK800RB and have been using my '73 Bassman 50. But I need another amp as a back up or to switch in and out here or there. I am torn between the TCE BH550 or the ToneHammer 350.

BH550: I have some concerns about the TC having all that digital stuff and I don't normally tend to use any amps extra or special features. I am aware that there is some shade at TC for the power ratings issue, specifically that the amps are underpowered. I use my distortions A LOT and have been known (especially with the 800RB) to blow a speaker here or there. I solved that issue with the Barefaced cab! That said, would the TC overpower with the distorted signal?

I asked because I was informed (and I don't claim to understand this, so pardon my errors) that a distorted signal makes an amps rated power jump by 4 (800RB is 300w @ 4ohm w/distortion is 1200w). Now I have only ever had the speaker blowing issue with that amp alone. I used to use the first run of the Ashdown ABM 900 with virtually the same stuff listed above and never had any issues at all.

I also keep reading that the TC is lacking in some lows and bottom end. I'm not so big on having that gut-feeling low end, but I do like to have some, I just want anything to be too nasal or tinny sounding.

TH350
    : Does Aguilar do anything bad?! Everything I have played by them is amazing (to me). The price point on this is a tad higher, which isn't bad. I have a feeling it will be plenty powerful and loud enough (as I feel about the TC). Same question though - any danger of overpowering when distorted? Also, is this amp 'too dark'? I also wonder about clipping this amp out. I read in a thread somewhere on here where Dave B. said to light it up, but with all this pedal gook and loud, odd, low and high-pitched bedlam, will I light it up too much?

I had considered the BH250 but felt that it may not be enough power at all. My bands do tend to get loud (seems to be a thing with loud, weird punk bands...) and I've always been able to cut through in the past. I would really like to avoid anything that has a naturally scooped sound; whichever amp comes close to having a truly 'flat' eq would be nice also (the GK always sounded scooped to me with all dials at noon). I KNOW the cab can take anything really but I want to be certain I'm not shooting myself in the foot here.

Thank you in advance for your kindness. At this stage in the game, I am looking for the simplest, lightest, least-amount-of-headaches outlet. However, I would still like to have an even sound with some ability to manipulate tone.

2. I'm not sure either head listed will give you the volume you are used to with your GK. Perhaps a used TH500? Yeah, the TC stuff has some weird power rating chart. Honestly, I perceive the Aguilar to be much better quality made than the TC - but I have ZERO "proof" behind this statement. Its just my opinion.

How many watts can your cab take, and what ohm rating is it?

Guessing you play at pretty high volumes?

sloppysubs likes this.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Get a ToneHammer pedal and any amp with an effects loop.

NickFromNY likes this.
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    The cab is 1200W RMS and 4ohm. Though, that cab is something else altogether; it's so good!

Everywhere on this forum I read I am told the TH350 is plenty loud enough. I really don't know myself.

I don't think we get too crazy loud, but we certainly aren't quiet. ;)

Thanks for the responses all!

5. Peavey Minimega... hold on to your butts...

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    No one other than you and your ears can determine whether you're about to blow your cab. Wonky FX/distortion and heavy bass boost will definitely pose a greater
    risk than flat eq. You have already taken a giant step forward with a super, high capacity, high output cab. Personally, I'd get a powerful, clean head and just use my volume knob, with my ears perked up. With all your FX, why not get cheap/powerful and clean, like a Peavey or GK micro?

7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    How do the GK MB amps stack up? I will have to read up on those.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Fantastic power, clarity and value. Not as gritty (at all) as the RB heads. The MB800 is a beast and you can get it new for 550 from RMC Audio. Stupid light.
    Big low end. The 500 can be had used for under 400 bucks. IMO the fusion versions that add a tube don't add anything significant to the tone, but cost more. Others will surely disagree though. Among the best value in micro heads. I'd rather have a GK MB500 and money left in my pocket than a TH350 unless I was not planning on getting any flavor from pedals. Peavey just released a couple as well.

sloppysubs likes this.
  9. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Naw, I use the pedals... use the flavors!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021