Starting from the low end is....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Great! =Cause there's no place to go but up! (If I choose to...)
    So yes, I bought the (as yet unarrived) Rogue fretless.
    And yes, next I bought the cheapest flatwounds I could find, the Fender 9050L's. (Because I simply will not abide those barb wire roundwounds chewing into a fretless neck!) And then of course I bought the Peavey Max126 bass 10w combo amp with it's 6.5 speaker. (Basically a headphone amp with an aux speaker thrown in.. ;>})

So look what I've got to look forward to:
    Someday maybe a better fretless bass, maybe even an Ibanez or a Squire!
    And then maybe a bigger combo amp; maybe even a 15w 8" speaker, or maybe even a HUGE 20-25w one with a (~gasp~) 10" speaker!

How many of you here can say you have all this to look forward to? ;>})

Sounds crazy, but I know what I'm doing... Years ago I ended up with the best of everything; -all high end stuff. Gear like a Clarus Acoustic Image amp and an Aquilla cabinet. A Warwick cherry red jazz bass, and also a Godin semi-acoustic fretless. Plus, thru the years, a Steinberger headless, an Epiphone Rivoli full body, a Fender Mexican P bass, and a few various others I can't remember any more. Also a few Hartke combo amps, including their Kickback 12.
    I had pretty good stuff and loved having it, but I never really learned to play bass very well. My music activities took a turn into hand percussion, and for a while that's all I did while my basses languished. Until I finally had to sell them because of some financial changes in my situation, and less room to keep everything.

So for me now it's just small, inexpensive gear to get back on the horse with. And with less time being spent on percussion (I'm semi retired and now just leading a church drum choir), I'm going to be more serious about learning bass fundamentals. And I'm gonna relax and have FUN with playing, and to hell with needing to impress myself and others with fancy gear!
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    MeLikeBass, Oddly, L Anthony and 7 others like this.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i recommend playing only root notes! they'll sound awesome for awhile, just like your new gear.

j/k, enjoy!

osonu and jackn1202 like this.
  3. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    If you bought a crappy Peavey combo amp instead of a low cost used class d head and head phones, I'd say I don't think you really do know what you're doing.

You could have added a low-cost quality used bass cabinet to the head later.

4. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Perhaps.
    But I know what I'm doing for my purposes, and not for yours...

JRA, jackn1202, matante and 2 others like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I started out with this for $125
    DV016-Jpg-Large-H09837-001-001-front-jpg-cf.jpg
    this for $35.
    481091000000000-00-500x500-jpg-cf.jpg
    and these for $15
    hu0woi.jpg
    Learning to play this.

Took me six years to get to where I am today...
    photostudio-1564810835936.jpg

6. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Congratulations on your purchase. Sorry to hear about the hard financial times, I know how that goes. Good to hear that you're back in the game.

I myself use the Fender 9050Ls on several of my basses, and love the sound.

Hope you have a good time playing bass again.

Relayer71 likes this.
  7. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Well you made sure let it be known that you needed inexpensive gear.

If you ever upgrade your combo amp, you are going to be left with the Peavey that you'll barely be able to give away. Anyway you know what you're doing. Sorry to interfere.

8. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    You can resell small combos. When I was last in GC to look at the Fender Rumble 25W (which was just a bit too large for me) there was also a guy there who didn't buy it either because he thought it was too big and heavy for his kids to use. I suggested he look elsewhere for a smaller 15W combo (which GC didn't have).

You're right about the new class D heads tho... They certainly are fascinating! However the Peavey Max126 only cost me $79 new, with a 2 year warranty. (And I got it from a smaller independent music shop and not a big chain). I doubt I could easily find even a used "D" head that cheap... Also with the head I'd only have headphones usage so if I wanted an exterior speaker I'd then have to buy a cab for it. It seems there's multitudes of small bass combos around, but how many small, inexpensive single 10" speaker cabs have you seen? So with buying a separate cab I'd probably be right back into bigger, heavier, more expensive stuff again... Right now some of the things I like about the Peavey Max126 is how lightweight it is, and how easily it slides under my desk to disappear when not in use. Hopefully when I get my Rogue fretless delivered and plugged into it this 'lil Peavey will also have decent enough sound to be enjoyable for a good while...
    Greywoulf

JRA and BeefPie84 like this.
  9. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    (Why do some people feel the need to ruin other people's parades?)

Enjoy your gear! Financial hardship is no joke and it's great that you were able to get an instrument and something to play it through.

If you're making music and happy, more power to you!

slapshot, Ggaa, lowendrv and 6 others like this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Cool.

RyanOh likes this.
  11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Stripping down to the fundamentals of "what one truly needs" given your current situation, instead of going for the "Oooh, shiny!" and "Yo, check me out!" groove?

Dig…it…fiercely! :thumbsup:

I admire your commitment to that level of discipline. What's your secret? What, if I may ask without getting too personal, is your trick to achieving it?

There are times when I contemplate shedding a lot of my excess gear and paring my parts-bass collection down to the bone. Deep down, I know it would allow me to focus more on learning and practicing instead of "What interesting combination of parts can I cobble together next?", but it's hard to summon up and maintain such discipline, especially when I think of my projekts almost as if they're my children. Certainly, I realize it's just "stuff" and could do away with a lot of it should push come to shove, but dammit…it's hard! :banghead: :sour:

DrThumpenstein and jackn1202 like this.
  12. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    With bass now for me it's easier because I already sold all my bass gear years ago when the 'ol lady and me had to downsize our living quarters. Plus I have already gone thoroughly thru that "It's so technically advanced and shiny cool I have to have it" bass gear addiction, and I absolutely know it didn't improve my playing skills one iota!
    But with my percussion stuff it's another story and not so easy; I need to sell a couple of upscale LP Congas and a Bata drum I rarely play anymore, plus downsize my djembes from 5 to about 2. -And I'm dragging my feet doing it... (So I'm no disciplined Zen saint. Not really! ;>}) I'm probably also a bit older than a lot of folks here and that's forcing me to become more and more aware of how having too much stuff weighs me down and complicates my life rather than improves it.
    Greywoulf

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Dig in and have fun! :thumbsup:

Relayer71 and RyanOh like this.
  14. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I totally get what you are saying, and I love that you had this epifani.
    However...
    How is it motivating to play crappy gear? Are you serving penance? :roflmao:
    Your gear should be fun and easy to use, no?
    If it works for you, I am all for it!
    If it's an economic choice, boy do I get it. I salute you, rock on.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Enjoy playing and have fun re-discovering the joy of playing bass. When you spend time away from TalkBass and use that time to PlayBass, you realize what's really important. Life can be good without GAS pain.

16. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Good on you!!
    Now, sit down, strap in, and enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

17. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Glad it works for you.

I just think you are more worried about it being cheap than the best value for the buck.

Knowing the cost versus knowing the value are two very different things.

Not needing to impress great, trying to acheive that over sounding better for the same price, a miss in my book.

18. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    images.jpg

19. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Please report to the first line, post #9. Thank you, that is all.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  20. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    your gonna love the Fender flatwounds

Skillet likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021