1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting guitar repair business suggestions please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 3, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm thinking about starting my own part-time guitar repair business and I've been researching/pricing tools for the job. Stewmac has this set, which seems like a lot of good tools, but could I get equivalent tools for less? What do you use instead of these tools and where can I get them?

Thanks!!

2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Any thoughts?

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Neat looking kit.

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah it is, but I think if I go this route I'm going to pick and choose on some of the tools. This kit comes with nut slot files but only for guitar. There's a company that sells these nut slot files that fit in a modified jeweler's saw:

$(KGrHqYOKnUE4LE9rp+BBOIYErtbsQ~~_12.
    $(KGrHqQOKpME24n64+!SBN7ZMCp2!!~~_12.

and you can get files for guitar and bass that fit the handle. I'd be replacing certain Stewmac tools with other tools like this which seem to make more sense to me.

5. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Dang! That's clever! I'd imagine it being much more comfortable to use than a file, plus, with especially hard to file nuts like Delrin, probably safer too.

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, there are some clever folks out there! This same company has a bunch of clever and cheaper alternatives to Stewmac stuff. It looks like people have bought Stewmac stuff and then either reengineered it or just come up with a better idea.

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Sweet, StewMac stuff is fantastic, but they sure do know how to charge for it.