Starting Lessons, After 12 Years

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by phaneo, Jan 8, 2006.

1. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I've been playing for about 12 years, I'm self taught and have only taken a few lessons in the past. I had a bad teacher and so I never got back into them. Anyway, I play regularly in a cover band and I would say I'm serviceable, but nothing fancy. So I'm starting lessons next week with a really great teacher here in town. So my question is where do I start? I can play the bass and a ton of songs, but I really don't know a whole lot about it. I usually just figure songs out by ear. I know most of the notes on the bass, a few scales and other than that I just wing it. I just feel like after so long being a bass player, I should know more about being one. What do you guys recomend to a player of my ability, theory, etc. Just wondering where to start when I show up.
  2. -Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    Should'nt the teacher tell you where to start? I mean, couldnt he run you through some exercises to gauge how much you know, then tell you where to start?

edit: You're from Tyler! You dig Eisley?
  3. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Not from what I've heard which is very little. I should probably check them out.
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The teacher will ask you if you can do certain things. Then he will teach you the things you don't know. This isn't like auditioning for music school or anything.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I agree with the others here. I think the teacher will probably ask you to play something and evaluate your technique, your timing, and whatever stands out to him that could use improvement. If he is worth his money, he will also tell you what you are doing well.

You have a wonderful base of knowledge and experience upon which to design a special program for you. You can probably learn very fast.

Please be willing to listen to a little constructive criticism. I assume you wil or you wouldn't be investing in classes. I'm so glad you are, because there are probably dozens with your same story who may believe they know all they already need to know and believe they cannot benefit from lessons.

I wish you luck and hope that your clasess prove to be very beneficial and help to kick up your bass playing another notch or further.
  6. ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    I live close to Tyler and have been looking for a good bass teacher, is there a way I could get this guys name or contact info. I'm not sure exactly what the forum rules are but maybe pm me. Thanks a bunch!
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I was in the same boat, could play plenty of songs, had some lessons before so my technique was pretty good.
    He basically asked me if I was going for sessions work, or Band Jam type stuff, so he would know where to focus. We kinda strted slow while he checked me out and really accelerated things from there. He'll figure out your level and go from there.
  8. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    hah, I'm in almost exactly the same boat. 13 years here though.
    I'm still trying to work up the nerve to call the guy. lol