1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

starting my daughter in the bass and don't know how and which bass get her

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BES, Jul 11, 2018.

1. BES

BES

Mar 27, 2018
    Vancouver, B.C.
    hello everyone!
    I hope I'm in the right thread, if not my apologies.
    so my 9 year old daughter is pretty excited about learning how to play bass, I'm not an expert pretty much a by ear player Im just getting my self immerse on the technique and general knowledge of the bass as an instrument. But my economic situation doesn't let me sign her up for lessons, and I would like to take that excitement to get her started on this magnificent instrument. any advice on what to teach her be-sides instrument parts, string notes, fingerboard notes, etc, etc?
    also anybody here has experience with bass sizes for youngsters? she isn't to little and I guess at this point she will need a regular bass size sooner then later, I was thinking on a short scale but also saw an Ibanez micro on the loop.
    any advice or suggestion will be welcome.
    regards

nateh415 likes this.
  2. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Fender Mustang PJ

Nice neck profile for smaller hands. Not too wide further up the neck.

Plus it says Fender on the headstock. If she starts playing in a band with friends no one will tease her for playing a Squier.

We adults know that Squier makes good basses nowadays. But kids will be kids.

jmo

nateh415, saabfender, REV and 2 others like this.
  3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I'm hoping to buy one of these for my daughter some day...

Squire Bronco is ashort scale bass
    (the lower tier version of Fender Mustang)

The Sanrio model is probably rather scarce though...

squier-badtz-maru-bronco-259003.

saabfender likes this.
  4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    tune by ear
    identify the "1" in random songs
    notation

5. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    I have seen nine year old children play cellos -34" scale- same as a full scale bass.
    A short scale bass might not really make anything easier- maybe we just 'think' it would.

I would seriously consider getting her a full scale bass. Then she won't have to adapt to a different scale later when she grows up.

And she will grow up....real soon ….too soon

saabfender and Lobster11 like this.
  6. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    I started my daughter on an Epiphone EB-0. She still loves it and she's 23 now.

Christine, TjMetalhead and lowplaces like this.
  7. Go to your local music store and the two of you try out what they have to offer.

Ditto the remarks on the one that fits. Nothing worse than playing an instrument that does not feel right.

Yep, build some memories together.

ak56 and lowplaces like this.
  8. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Those EB-O's do have a nice neck for smaller hands.

Sub41 likes this.
  9. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Besides the Mustang the only short scale I'd consider is the Ibanez Mikro. They're well built and very good for the money. The Squier Bronco isn't in the same league at all. I haven't seen one that didn't need a complete set-up right out of the box.
    My son started on a Mikro when he was 10 and plays a Mustang now at 14. Switching to a full size bass will be easy once they're big enough to support it sitting down or reach the first fret standing.
    Basses are like bikes. Get one that fits and they'll enjoy it rather than struggling with something to big or too heavy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Matthew_84, two fingers and lowplaces like this.
  10. AFRO

AFRO

Aug 29, 2010
    Ill pile on with having her help with the selection process. IMO it will help her to be a part of the selection process. If you let her noodle on your Bass then she already has a 'feel' for what to expect. and her being able to 'pick' her instrument (size, color, shape) may, just may, be a key factor for her longevity on the instrument.:thumbsup:

Remember you are essentially a 'vicarious element' in this equation; it will be her journey to toe.
    Guide her well, but allow her enough space to make the path choices as much as you can.

Good Luck:bassist:

ELG60 likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    jallenbass and REV like this.
  12. Check out Rondo music good prices and nice quality instruments

13. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Good to know there's bass players my age lol. I started at 14 with a Hartke XK-4 Bass.

Sub41 likes this.
  14. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    I had no luck with the Pearl White Ibby Mikro I bought online from Reverb. It was as advertised, very pretty and near new for $150.
    But I couldn't love it. Easy to play but not much easier than a 34" neck. The tone was just OK but the controls were incomprehensible. A valuable lesson; try before you buy for fit and tone and controls.

15. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I purchased an Ibanez Mikro bass and its great! She was 7 when we picked it up, and it fit her great. 3/4 size, but all the same features as a full size. You can't expect much for size, but the smaller scale will also help her with pushing the strings down, seeing as how they will have a little more slack.

IMHO they're a great starter, and darn near bulletproof!

16. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    Definately have her try them out. My 11 year old daughter wants to learn sax like her daddy so we've begun playing around with different instruments. I brought out an alto out of habit since she's so young, but she almost immediately gravitated to the tenor cause she just liked it better (and it's my main horn, lol). You just don't know what they will bond with.

saabfender likes this.
  17. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Get a ubass, and start her on ofpf
    Then expect her to borrow your bass.

18. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    ... and there's nothing for you to do but be supportive and helpful.

You don't necessarily need to get her a short-scale instrument. She'll acclimate to whatever she gets.

19. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    No question, get an Ibanez Mikro. Unless she is quite tall for a 9 year old it might still be too big to comfortably reach the first frets. If the instrument is physically challenging, the chances of continuing to learn drop.

20. East Coast

East Coast Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Hi - My daughter is 14 and started on a Strinberg CAB-16 3 years ago. She LOVES it even though it was big for her, she definitely is growing into it. It weighs exacly 9 lbs. Due to some recent health issues, I had to bump her down to something smaller to allow her to keep playing, while doing PT and such. We bought her an Ib Mikro and she likes it. She practices with the Mikro at home, but when she's playing with her band, she still prefers to lug the Strinberg around. I wouldn't worry about the scale of her first bass as much as I would the weight. Have fun and keep us posted!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018