1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting my effect chain. Could use some user input.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matthewminor91, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Tc electronic comp, vt bass and you are ok.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Rather than just blindly suggesting pedals, why not fill us in on what you're looking for in these additional pedals? What kind of music are you playing? Are you looking for dirt? Modulation? Compression? Time based effects? Synths?

Gearhead17, MTN.bass72 and XLunacy like this.
  3. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Red Panda - Particle

qersty likes this.
  4. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Boss OC 2 or an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe or a Micro POG

SLO Surfer likes this.
  5. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    Well if you want to get the most out of it an EQ would be a pedal to consider

SLO Surfer likes this.
  6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    UK
    Learning how to use a pedal, including it's purpose and limitations (and your expectations) is the way to get the most from a pedal. The BSF is a low gain overdrive which is at its best when used interactively with your amp input gain stage. By that I mean finding your best sounds will depend as much on your amp settings as the pedal settings. Search my previous posts on overdrive to see what I mean. IMHO the SF is a great place to start your effects journey. Welcome to the club...

7. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    All of them

8. I've been warned of this, lmao

Ductapeman likes this.
  9. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    The Bass Soul Food is a good boost and light OD. It should give you a lot of mileage on its own. But before we can suggest much more to go with it, we need to know what styles of music you're playing, your budget, and so forth. Different players have different needs.

That being said, if you want effects but don't know what you need, I'd be hard pressed to not recommend the Zoom MS-60B multi. It's a whole pedal board in a Boss pedal sized box -- 50something effects and can chain four effects at once. Many people use it as a general "fill in the blanks" utility pedal, and it would give you a lot of effects to experiment with on a budget.

Hope that helps.

10. otp57

otp57

Oct 10, 2016
    You may want to look at the crybaby bass pedal to eat some of that bass soul food.
    Set up the crybaby first and output it to the soul food( set the soul food to a thick sound or to the sound you want.

11. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    yeah, wasn't trying to be a smartass (ok, maybe a little), but like others have said...we need more information before just bomarding you with recommendations. It should be a surgical bombardment :)

Matthewminor91 likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone SUSPENDED Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I'd suggest a compressor.

Personally I prefer my EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor), but for a cheaper solution I heard the EHX Bass Preacher should be nice as well.

I always have my compressor on, and use it with both guitar and bass, for a slightly tighter, more punchy and slightly boosted sound.

Just puts the icing on the cake of your sound, so to speak.

An EQ would probably be nice as well.

Here I would recommend the MXR 108 (10 band graphic equalizer), for a slightly cheaper solution I'd recommend the Boss 7 band graphic equalizer GE-7B.

For other effects I would recommend a digital multi effect.

That way you will get a hang on what effects you would like in single pedal analog form, and still be able to use the multi effect on the side for everything else.

For a multi effect I would recommend the Zoom B3 (especially designed for bass and also includes bass pre amps and bass amps emulations, which will make it a decent headphone practice "amp" as well) or one of the Line6's M series products (not specifically designed for bass, which won't matter much in most cases though, and not including any amp emulations).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  13. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Get the Korg Miku and the ZVEX Candela Vibrophase. These are absolutely essential and no player should be without them.

AngusHasMoxie likes this.
  14. Awwwww cmon fellas, EVERYBODY needs octave/fuzz/filter !

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  15. Not true, but if my gigs were all about what IIIIIII want, then I would get to use these 3 much more than I currently do :D.

ukedealer likes this.
  16. sketch

sketch

Oct 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA, USA
    Just starting pedals? Get a multi-effect. Zoom has been mentioned, perhaps a Line6 m5, or Boss ME-50b or something. Multieffect pedals let you hear and experience all the different sounds for a minimum entry price.

SteveCS likes this.
  17. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    If you haven't bought the soul food yet I'll give you the TB special on mine! Too many distortion boxes for me!