Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting my search for DB and teacher in San Diego

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by junglebike, Dec 11, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone have any good leads for me?

I'm currently playing my brother-in-law's bass, and will eventually need to get my own. Sadly (sort of) his is a good-sounding carved bass so I may end up with a lesser instrument after a big expense! Any good San Diego upright shops -- or should I just give up and head to LA?

As for budget, since I don't *need* it today, I think the prudent thing to do is to take my time, save up, and get something good ($3-5k range?)

As for music, I want to be Ray Brown. Or Charlie Haden -- that would be okay, too. :D
    Jazz/Funk/Blues/Latin.

I'm also looking for a teacher to help me reach those heights. Preferably a more senior player, who's been through what I'm undertaking and can help me out. I've had a few teachers now, and they've mostly been guys my age (I'm 28) who played great but didn't have a good method for me to latch onto. I want a bass mentor -- I'm not just a tire kicker; I'm willing to make a committment to improvement.

2. How far is it for you to Capistrano? That's where Lemur Music is, and they are a bass-only shop. I've never been there myself, but everyone know about their catalog and how comprehensive their stock is.

They're a dealer for Pollmann basses, which run rather on the high side price wise. They also have some more moderately priced new basses, and I imagine older basses too.

Visit their Web site for contact info.

3. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I lived in San Diego many years ago. I don't think you could find any one better than Bob Magnuson to have as a teacher. He is a fabulous player and his credits are a who's who of the jazz world.
    There used to be a shop right on Market St near downtown. I went in there when I was a student and just getting interested in bass. They acted like they were going to have a heart attack when I touched one of the basses.
    KSDS is the San Diego City College jazz radio station and I'll bet the PD could put you onto some other teachers. Or if Bob doesn't teach or is full up, he'll know who does. I went to hear him play every chance I got when I lived there.

4. I agree...Mag is the guy!! You can't overlook Bert Turetsky of course. He teaches at the college. If I were starting out, interested primarily in jazz I would go with Bob. I would at least take a lesson with Bert because of his contributions to the world of the double bass! This would also help you with the arco side of the bass.
    If you're going to be living in the area, Bob Magnuson plays alot with the great lady flute player Holly Hoffman, who I played with for years and who was in Ray Browns band when he passed. She now is married to one of my very favorite piano players Mike Wofford. Mike was with Ella Fitzgerald when she passed! Included in this band is Jim Plank on drums, who is one of those select few people who plays great jazz and plays with the San Diego symphony as well. Going to hear these people play, is like attending a small group jazz clinic! Have fun.

5. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    How could I forget?! I think Kristen Korb is teaching at San Diego State. But if she's as cute as her pictures I'd have a tough time concentrating on my playing.