Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting my second project bass.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CamMcIntyre, Jun 19, 2004.

1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey everybody, i just thought i'd start a thread on my second and third bass projects. The project title is twins-2 basses, made for me, nearly identical except one is fretted one is fretless.

General specs:

bodies: Alder [c/o larry @ galleryhardwoods]
    fingerboards: Pau Ferro 12inch radius [LMII]
    chrome hardware
    Bartolini P-J pickups [passive]
    5 string
    1-Unlined fretless w/side dots, 1 fretted w/side dots
    Schaller Black straplocks
    finish: debating between stained black w/a nitro clear coat, or just goin for black gloss nitro [stew mac].

For more info/see updates of my projects along with pictures-see my sig. for the link.

Also-feel free to make comments about what you think of the shape, the materials, et al. I appreciate the input. That's all

2. Gloss Black is quite simply the most difficult, unforgiving, frustrating, time consuming, error prone, gooberific finish you could possibly choose.

Have a great time!

Last weekend, I'd finished the last stroke on the umpteenth poly coat on the black back of a bound body. What I thought was finally my last. As I turned to put the gun down, a bug flew over my left shoulder and square into the just laid, perfectly glass smooth finish. I've learned that to dig 'em out leaves bigger crater so I just let it cure and started over with the next coat. *sigh*

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Were you outside, I hate lacquering outside.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
  6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks AMN, i think i'll add that to the order from there i'm getting ready to place.

7. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Maybe I'm missunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're saying you just leave the bug on the bass and spray over it????

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I bought this book, & it does have quite a bit of info, including various color recipe's... The only thing I wish it did have, was how to mix translucents. But, based upon when you get, it should be easy enough.

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I'll agree with that. I thought the book should have been twice as long. I think it is a good place to start. I would have liked more on french polish though.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Got the Stew-Mac Order placed. I was surprised to find out that they are located in Ohio. According to the tracking number from the shippers website-the package has a good shot at being here tomorrow. I'll give the book a good read through and then comment back here on what finish i think i'm going to use. That's all

11. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    i think i misunderstood him too. cause thats what i read

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    When the finish dries, the bug, having gone to his Valhalla, is now a hard little bump, ready to be sanded flat, (or off completely), and painted over... Digging it out when it's wet causes a huge divit in the paint, much harder to fix... don't even bother to ask how I know :D

-robert

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    NEW COLOR ALERT "BUG BURST"
    :bag:

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Updates: got the bodies glued up. Body shapes are determined. Got the fingerboards in for being "2nd" level boards-these things are niiice. :D I had LMII go ahead and do the slotting and radiusing for me. [note: LMII grades their fingerboards based on looks not quality]. Pics have been taken. Go to my website under Twins, Pics for all of them. Also-updates have taken place on the first project. I go to a guy's house tomorrow to do the routing. Depending on how long the routing takes-might go ahead and drill for the tuning machines, pots, and the other holes. That's all