Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting on a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grunger, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Is it ok???I know that it is harder than starting on regular bass,but my dad gave me his old fender fretless precision bass with seymor duncan electronics(With something called a pre-amp,i don't quite understand what it is...)and trace eliot amp...And lot's of people told me that this is an excellent bass but i really don't know although i saw it on TV a lot of times... :rolleyes:

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    is it a lined fretless? fretless can be hard in the beginning, but the key with fretless is to listen when the pitch is right and wrong imo.

a preamp is basically a litte amp with tone controls(bass boost, midrange boost, treble boost, and so on.

3. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    It will teach you to play with your ears! :bassist:

4. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I really wish that I learned on a fretless. It's learning the hard way.

5. But i want to play with my fingers :) :) :) And i don't have ears strong enough to pluck a string :) :) :) :) Kidding,of course :smug: And is this really good bass as they told me

6. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    play it, man! fretless bass is cool, but keep your mind and ears open! :bassist:

7. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Well, Seymour Duncans are pretty good pickups. I don't know what type of pre-amp it has on it, but if it is a decent pre-amp the bass should sound pretty good. If it's a Made In America (MIA) P-bass then its really good. Made In Japan (MIJ) is good too and Made In Mexico (MIM) is ok. To me it sounds like a fairly decent bass. Probably better than most other people's starter basses. :bassist:

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    A couple of things here ..... learning on a fretless is great if you have the ability to hear proper pitches (also called intonation) and can play in tune. With a fretless, even the smallest adjustment in your fingering can affect the intonation. And once you've learned to play fretless, it's going to be fairly easy to play a fretted bass. Kind of like learing to drive with a stick shift, then driving an automatic :)

Fender Precision (and Fender Jazz) basses are like an industry standard. Depending on where it was made (USA, Mexico, Japan, China, etc), it could be quite valuable (most valuable is the USA) , but regardless of country of manufacture it's a real good bass to start out on. A lot of people here on TB didn't have the luxury of starting out on a Fender.

TE amps are also quite good, so you have some nice equipment there. Enjoy the bass and welcome to Talkbass :D

9. Does this means that i will have to clean my ears more often :confused: NOOOOOOOOOOO :) :) :) :) :)

Kidding again :smug:

So,it's ok...And i am 14 years old...is it ok to start at this age(in the local music school they don't accept anyone that is older than 9 years :) But they don't teach bass so i don't care :) And,most of the bassists are formere guitarists but i never played the guitar...Have i made a mistake???

10. No. 14 is a good age.

11. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    heh, well, you havent done any mistakes :) but fretless requires some ear training, its logical since fretless has the whole neck to make notes, but fretted is one note per fret.

good luck man! :bassist:

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    My 16 year old daughter learned to play on a fretless. She had a fretted bass at her disposal but preferred the challenge of the fretless. She's been at it for six months now and her intonation is very good. I recently picked up a really good fretted Jazz clone that she can't put down. She uses the fretless with the E drop tuned to D for a bunch of Muse tunes she likes playing to.

Fretless is more of a challenge for sure. Keep in mind that six year olds learn the violin..in other words, it's not an impossible task. Plus it sounds like you have good gear to learn on, which makes a difference.

Have fun and go at her.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Starting on fretless will only make you a better player by force you to be more tentative to the notes and your intonation.

14. My dad played for 20 years and he is teaching me now...and i also had a fretted bass but my dad sold it few months ago... :) :) I suppose that i'll be able to learn it...If you have guitar pro,please,let me send you a kind of scale that is puzzling me right now,i really don't know what it is and you could be of great help...And as fo the daughter-This is the firs time i hear for a female bassist :)

15. Yes a teacher is a must I would say. And find someone who is trained in reading music and knows theory. I don't think some shredder who is just making some extra money is the type for you. Ear training is most important. Get a teacher who can help you improve your sense of pitch.

16. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thats some good stuff! you already got a teacher :D :bassist:

17. What does your Dad say about all this?

18. Well,mostly the same as you said but i just wanted some other opinions...and about the scales,he gave me the scales to learn them,he calls them positions(unlike the positions on a guitar these are real scales)but nobody else heard of them...i'm starting to think that he made a mistake in terminology,i suppose these aren't called positions...

19. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Re. scales and positions:
    you can play the same scale (i.e. pattern) at different positions, which makes them different scales. Fun, isn't it? (Get a teacher, I won't do, for sure... :p )

But back to your original question:

Playing fretless is not harder than fretted! Unlined has a higher threshold, but soon enough it doesn't matter.

At one point or another, you'll get frustrated on the intonation, and you think "I throw this junk in the wall", but you don't (too much money involved:) ). Three days later, you realize that your ear is getting better, your intonation is improving drastically, and you are becoming a better bassist. Then you pick up a fretted... "Ah", you think, "I can play fast on this one!" and you do that. You go back to your fretless, and notice your hand has become sloppy, it doesn't hit the notes as well as before. You practice and get good again. Then you play a slow tune on a fretted - and you almost puke! It does not intonate right!!! "Where's that fretless, now when I need it?" /////the story of my life/////

So, on a fretless you will learn a lot more, and faster, because it forces you, it challanges you and it entices you.

20. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing!