Starting out and acoustic basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockItOldSchool, Mar 3, 2005.

1. RockItOldSchool

Mar 3, 2005
    Okay, so I really want to start playing bass. As a regular six stringer, I find it a little akward when trying to play things like the rock part of Bohemian Rhapsody on the church's Peavey because the frets are so much bigger. It also doesn't help that I have really small hands. From the end of my wrist (start of my hand) to the tip of my middle finger with my hand stretched out as far as it will go is just a little under seven inches. My hands aren't going to get any bigger. I'm really into acoustic stuff a lot more than metal or rock so I was looking at acoustic basses, namely this one since I'm short on cash.

My question is this: Do you think I'll get used to the bigger frets? Will it just take some practice or are my hands just too small?

Also, does that bass look good? It has good reviews and everything...
  2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've seen and heard 10-14year olds(boys and girls) play 1/2 and 5/8 size upright basses and cellos effectively and the key is technique. Get some pointers ASAP and don't start-off with any bad habits that you have to "unlearn" later...also remember that an fully electric bass can sound o.k. in many situations, an acoustic electric bass guitar is much more limited. Try some other basses, maybe the church's Peavey is giving you a bad example of how playable a bass guitar can really be...
  3. I play a Dean Performer (I think the only difference is the cutaway). It's strung with flats and has a nice thump unplugged. At church, the 3 band eq works great.
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Your hand size has very little to do with your ability to play. Your technique will improve with practice. Also the peavey you are playing now may be improperly set up to make playing it much more difficult. I would not buy an acoustic bass if you are just starting out playing bass. They are much harder to play than an electric and much more limited in their use. If you want something easier to play and still have an acoustic vibe to it buy a Rogue violin bass (Beatle Bass) copy. It is a shorter scale so it plays very easy and it can sound like an acoustic bass.