Starting out, any tips?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ireidt, Mar 14, 2005.

1. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Recently I have been interested in makign guitar pedals and working on a custom bass that I designed a while ago. Is there any suggestions on where to begin? I got some electric project books for musicians that I am going to start, btu I would like to know where to begin in building my bass.

2. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    The search button can definately be your friend. This forum is where I have gained the majority of my own knowledge. My only advice is to go slow. Do some research before plunging into it. I've been researching for the past 5 or 6 months and I'm just now beginning my first build. There were a few times when I decided I was ready, and then I found out I wasn't after reading some more. This forum has definately saved those poor flamed maple body wings and that beautiful wenge/purpleheart neck blank from my destructive hands :bag:.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A: find a good book! Martin Koch wrote my favorite, a lot of others vote for Hiscock, and there are a few more.

B: practice patience, and slow work. That is how you avoid mistakes, and how you will be able to correct those you make.

C: don't be intimidated. You can make any and all parts of a bass. Just go slow and precise!

D: don't blame me if you screw up, since you didn't follow my advice above.
  4. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Buy stuff in advance.
    My build would have been much easier had I assembled all the components first. It will help you plot out the design.

Buy tools. Go to the hardware store after you've thought about what you may need. Once you're there, think more. Grab the extra file, the nicer ruler, the router bits and forstner bits and chisels. The extra sandpaper, glue, etc. Having stuff you need on hand before you tackle a part makes it so much easier than having to stop everything and head back out.
  5. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Thanks. I know that you can build about everything on a bass if you have patience. Right now I am setting up a music studio in my house so my freinds can record there and I can get some money to get books. :p

I actually have a book called electronic projects for musicans, so I am eorkign on electronics first.

I actually want to build two of my designs right now. The first one is a 5-strign bass fretless with a tremolo bar bridge. The second one is either going to be a 4-strign bass or a 6-strign bass usign optical pickups.
  6. Just to reiterate on the patience thing. Patience is a big thing and should not be steam rolled by urges to complete a job ASAP.

I've seen things get really damaged in the final stages of a project and you can log it as a damn shame, but that doesn't help. What helps is awareness and preparation to avoid risks at each step.