1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting out with effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jonny P, May 13, 2003.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P

Jun 5, 2002
    I just started playing with a funk band (styles from late 60's to the present). I'd love to hear from some players out there with suggestions on some basic/essential effects to start out with. Thanks.

2. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I use an ebs envelope filter that about it

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Essential effects?

None. ;)

But as far as the most basic, I'd say chorus is pretty common, though I don't care for it myself.

Octave down can sound great, this is the only effect I use often...But it only sounds good in the higher registers.

And I don't know if you'd consider it an effect, but compression rocks, too.

4. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I recomend starting out with a small, inexpensive multi effects unit like the Digitech BP50 or Alesis BassFX. That way, you can get a full working knowledge of each effect before you decide which ones you'd like to individualy invest more into. I started out with a Zoom505 (which sucks compared to the 2 units I previously mentioned) and now I own an analog version of each effect, in some cases several versions of the same effects and I still use my Digitech BP50 half of the time, mostly because of convienience and portability.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I agree with Bassackwards. I just started using effects and purchased a Digitech BP50. I found it easy to use and customize my own sounds. Actually used it on stage, the built in tuner really came in handy. I am happy for getting it, I was uncertain how a few effects would work for me but this answered a lot of my questions. I paid under $100.00 and it was well worth it, not only as a effects pedal but I consider it a $100.00 lession in my introduction to effects, it also sounds good!

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I agree with the multi FX suggestion. While a lot of people might use chorus a bit, I dislike the effect in general, but there's a lot of use of wah effects in funk (especially the slappy variety). I'd still reccomend the multi-FX box, but just a heads up: Flea endorses the Dunlop 105Q wah pedal.

7. Pascal vd Pol

Pascal vd Pol

May 13, 2003
    Netherlands
    I really like the sound of a phaser or phase-shifter, but I don't know which ones are great as I am orienting myself...

Envelope filters and other filters were common too I guess.