Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting out with effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jonny P, May 13, 2003.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P

Jun 5, 2002
    I just started playing with a funk band (styles from late 60's to the present). I'd love to hear from some players out there with suggestions on some basic/essential effects to start out with. Thanks.

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I use an ebs envelope filter that about it

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Essential effects?

None. ;)

But as far as the most basic, I'd say chorus is pretty common, though I don't care for it myself.

Octave down can sound great, this is the only effect I use often...But it only sounds good in the higher registers.

And I don't know if you'd consider it an effect, but compression rocks, too.

4. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I recomend starting out with a small, inexpensive multi effects unit like the Digitech BP50 or Alesis BassFX. That way, you can get a full working knowledge of each effect before you decide which ones you'd like to individualy invest more into. I started out with a Zoom505 (which sucks compared to the 2 units I previously mentioned) and now I own an analog version of each effect, in some cases several versions of the same effects and I still use my Digitech BP50 half of the time, mostly because of convienience and portability.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I agree with Bassackwards. I just started using effects and purchased a Digitech BP50. I found it easy to use and customize my own sounds. Actually used it on stage, the built in tuner really came in handy. I am happy for getting it, I was uncertain how a few effects would work for me but this answered a lot of my questions. I paid under $100.00 and it was well worth it, not only as a effects pedal but I consider it a $100.00 lession in my introduction to effects, it also sounds good!

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I agree with the multi FX suggestion. While a lot of people might use chorus a bit, I dislike the effect in general, but there's a lot of use of wah effects in funk (especially the slappy variety). I'd still reccomend the multi-FX box, but just a heads up: Flea endorses the Dunlop 105Q wah pedal.

7. Pascal vd Pol

Pascal vd Pol

May 13, 2003
    Netherlands
    I really like the sound of a phaser or phase-shifter, but I don't know which ones are great as I am orienting myself...

Envelope filters and other filters were common too I guess.