Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting out....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvilAdmin, Sep 14, 2001.

1. EvilAdmin

EvilAdmin

Sep 8, 2001
    I tried to get into electric guitar but I really didn't like it, so I decided to give playing bass a try since i like the deeper, bassier instruments(bass clarinet, tenor sax, etc.). First off, I have to choose between a 4 and 5 string bass, and my budget for the bass is $300 :( I'm guessing I'll probably have to go with a 4 if I want to get anything somewhat decent.....any recommendations?

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Welcome to TB :)

Would it be possible to hold on a little longer and save more money? The Kingston basses by MTD might be great for a starter bass, but they will cost just a little more. I don't know how much the K4's are, but the K5 can be had for $450. I'm guessing this might put the K4 in the $350-400 range?

3. EvilAdmin

EvilAdmin

Sep 8, 2001
    I was looking at an Ibanez Soundgear which cost around $400 for a decent 4 string.....would the MTD be good even if I got past being a beginner?

4. Mr. Evil (and I'm sure you're really not)

If this is your first venture into electric bass, don't be disappointed by getting some "garage sale" junk. Yes, there are basses for $150 and $250, but you really get what you paid for. Don't get an instrument that sounds and plays like a dog. You should not have to FIGHT an instrument to play it.

The MTD Kingston is a good starter AND something that you can play on for a while. Also, check out the Cort Curbow 4. Whatever Ibanez or Yamaha within that price range will be okay. In general, the more money you can put into the investment, the more pleasant your experience is going to be because you're buying a better instrument.

Another bit of free advice - find a bass player friend that you can bring with you to the stores. Ask his advice. Have him play the gear and make recommendations.

Just hold on, more suggestions will be coming soon from other Talkbass dwellers.

Hope this helps.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm surprised none of you said this already!

(MIM = Made in Mexico)

MIM Fender Jazz
    MIM Fender Precision bass

Both are excellent for the money.
    They run about $350, the precision's a little less.
    You could pick one up for a good price at www.musiciansfriend.com

The great thing about the two of them is you can do virtually anything with them, add a preamp, change the pickup(s), change the bridge, put a different nut on them, change the tuners.

So, what I'm saying, in short:
    Buy an MIM Jazz or Precision, later when you get better, you can modify it as you see fit, and it'll grow with you.
    As of late, a lot of people have been doing the MIM Jazz/Precision modified.

:)

Some would even venture to say they're better than MIA's once they're all modified. (MIA = Made in America)

6. The mark of any good bassist:D

I say stay away from the Soundgear line - sucky. Kingstons are a great choice, and you can always go MIM(I wouldn't, see my sig). Also look at:

-Dean
    -Washburn
    -Squier
    -Yamaha

Best deals around. You need an amp too.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    A kingston is a "Starter" Bass? really? dang. i thought like a foucs or MIM Fender or squir was a begginer bass.....silly me......

Hit a MIM P-Bass. they last a long time, mines a freaking tank. and if you dont have money, its good that they last that long.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say the MTD Kingston will be a good bass for quite a while, beginning or not. I'd stay away from the Ibanez'...not that they are bad, but that the quaility is widely varying, and as such, you stand a good chance to get a stinker of a bass, and just starting out, you might not know it for some time, so I'd just stay away from the Soundgear series.

Peavey also has some good starter basses, some of the nicest low end stuff I've seen, at times. Just because they are Peavy doesn't mean they aren't any good.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If i found an alembic for $300, i'd get it.

How long until those cheap stingrays come out?

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    :rolleyes:

Durr... Peavey Cirrus = Starter bass?
    Durr... Peavey G-bass = Starter bass?
    Durr... Peavey Millenium = Starter bass?

:rolleyes:

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think that he probably means Fury II, Milestone III and Milestone IV, as good as any other companies entry level stuff, if not better.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I'd hope so.

I think the Cirrus, G-bass, and Millenium would be a little too expensive for a starter bass.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, unless the person buying them has a lot of $$$.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes. Of course. Cirrus? entry? Yeah. Right.

Actually, my friend had a Milestone II (Maybe III, not sure) and it was a nice jazz bass. Not jazz bass knock off, but a nice jazz bass.

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    When i started out, i bought a Crate beginner pack, it comes with a Crate Electra 4-String, a 10-Watt Amp, a 6 ft cord, a binnging video, a strap, and a gigbag, all for $285, it was worth it

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    When I started, I went rental for about 3 months (mom was a little skeptical to spend all the cash if she wasn't sure if I'd keep up with it).

Than I got a Fender Squire Music Master, and a Fender BXR 200...

Was a pretty nice setup. The BXR wasn't all that loud though.

17. crate made a bass? now i've seen everything! ;)

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yea, they make a bass, i have had it for about 6 months, and is has a nice sound

19. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Find the ideal beginners bass (I started playing only because I suddenly struck it!):

used
    fretless
    five string

Perfect!:)

GOOD HUNTING!

20. Dunno about perfect, but I'm beginning on a used fretless five too and it's loads of fun. Perhaps a little slow-going, but I feel like I'm learning.

And besides, when I get good I want to play a fretless 5, so might as well start now...

Suggestion: get a used midlevel instrument in good condition and get it set up by someone who knows how for the first time. But watch them do it if you can. Worked for me.