1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting over after 2 years

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gfunk 121, Oct 22, 2009.

1. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    all the bass to you all..
    I would like to get some advice on starting over..i have played for 5-6 years when i stopped playing because i was totally burnt out..i was doing all the bookings for my band and promotions and myspace and so on and when my band disbanded i told myself thats it and i am taking a break..this break was about 2 years..
    this week i took out my bass for the first time and i was wondering if any one was ever in this situation and what i should start working on or what book i should get..i dont wanna get crazy with theory and reading at the beggining i wanna make it as much fun as its possible last time i was playing it wasnt fun no more i dont wanna be there again..i am going slow this time...
    any help or advice would be appreciated..
    keep rocking all...

2. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    thanks for all the replys

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    You could pick out a couple of songs you like and start playing. Just be good about proper warm up to rebuild hand strength and muscle memory. Maybe take a couple of lessons to help you break some new ground. It won't take long to get your groove back, have fun.

4. I stopped for six years, now I'm playing better than ever and lovin' it. I've been playing 37 years, minus the six. You'll be ok, start with scales.

5. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    thanks man!

6. The Internet is full of backing tracks that were not there 2 years ago. I enjoy playing with them.

http://www.jazzbacks.com/media/free-samples/TakeFiveBassDemo.mp3

THE GUY, let someone else do all that - That's not the fun part anyway. Show up and play what THE GUY wants. The guys are always looking for a good bass.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    You might want to check out the links in my sig. below for some great TB info that may help you along your bass playing journey.

Also, if you join a band, just be the bass player.