Starting over

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baxter Louis, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Baxter Louis

Baxter Louis

Feb 20, 2020
    Virgina
    Good morning,

I'm new to the site, but not new to playing bass. I played briefly in my teen years and would like to pick up the bass again. Majority of what I learned I have forgotten and am looking for some guidance on were to start - basses, amps, accessories etc. I also have a love for many genres such as Jazz, Metal, Surf, Punk, Rockabilly - and was wondering if you fellas can point me in the right direction.

Much appreciated!

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome...

if you haven't started tooling up already, I recommend you head to the nearest music store/shop whatever you got handy and start playing some instruments. Gravitate to what you like. Hope you have a good budget. But go after what you like. It will help maintain your interest.

Start practicing.

Books, YouTube. It's all out there.

Above all...

Learn to listen.

Baxter Louis and DJ Dru like this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Scott's bass

Baxter Louis likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!! ....and back to bass in general.

A couple of answers to questions will help us help you.

1) Roughly where are you? We have people from all over the planet here.

2) What's your budget for bass "stuff"?

3) Are you opposed to used gear?

Baxter Louis likes this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    for $200 (used) you can be off n running like you've never stopped
    $100 LB11 - lightweight 'vintage' P bass with a sweet medium neck, looks cool in all black
    $100 Fender B-DEC 30 modeling combo amp - best learning curve / band-in-a-box out there
    after all these years and retired I'd be lost without them
    the bass is made by Samick (consistent QC) badged under Epiphone, Silvertone, Revolver, etc., been around for decades, many forum members will concur these are gig-ready. perfect enuf as is / fine mod platform.
    the amp sounds fab for a compact SS brainiac, tubey if you want it, and the volume can be dialed in internally to project for gigs or reined in for apartment fun and still retain the sonic goods. great for guitar too. can't really lose at $100 ea. even if they suck (they don't)

Baxter Louis likes this.
  6. Baxter Louis

Baxter Louis

Feb 20, 2020
    Virgina
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys! I went with a Squire PJ from my local Music Shop, and will soon get an Amp too!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021