Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting over

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by szaretsky, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Ok, I've gone and done it. I bought a '78 MusicMan Stingray in March of 1978 and after almost 30 years decided it wasn't the bass for me (I realized I need a thinner, Jazz style neck). I've sold it on ebay (and got a lot of $$$ for it :hyper: ) and am almost ready to buy its replacement.

I'm listening to everybody; I'm ready to rethink everything. Brand, strings, style, etc. I've tried the MusicMan Sterling (thinner neck, more tonal range) but am not convinced that it's the answer. While I'm not wealthy, I do have a fair amount of cash from the sale that I can use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What exactly are you looking for tone-wise? Also what type musical environments will the bass be used in?

3. Good question! I'd like an instrument with some tonal variety. I'm mostly a straight-ahead rock player (think John Deacon or Gary Tallent) but may end up playing some Southern Rock or light jazz. I'm not currently in a band, so having some flexibility will be a big help.

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You're in central Florida? Dude, head on over the Bass Central!! I'm sure the guys there could get you into something that fits!!

The next questions is what are you looking to spend?

5. Bass Central is my first destination after the ebay sale completes but I wanted to get a few impartial opinions before I walk in there.

The Stingray sold for close to $1800 -- I'm not looking to spend all of that, but I can spend close to that much. I don't want to buy a vintage or boutique instrument that I'm afraid to take into a club. I'm looking for something that's playable in a variety of situations that isn't going to be a target for theft.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmmm.. How about a Lakland Skyline?

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    First thing I thought.

8. Unfortunately, the Laklands have the same neck as the Stingray; I'd have kept the Stingray if I was comfortable with the neck. Is there a Lakland with a thinner neck? Should I look at a Sterling? MIA Jazz?

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Have you tried the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass? If a thin neck is your thing, this is the thinnest (front to back) that you'll find. It's neck is very unique, so it's kind of a "love it or hate" kind of thing. If you do like the neck - the bass as a whole is a lot of bang for your buck.

10. You could look for a Zon Sonus - the Sonus necks are very playable, thin and comfortably wide (definitely better than a Stingray). They are nice basses, not exactly cheap lol, but they are players for sure and I have never thought twice about taking one to a gig. They are supposed to be thought of as a modern Jazz bass and I love mine, but many players don't care for the graphite neck (either sound or feel) but it is worth checking out.

Good luck!

11. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    First thing to cross my mind was a G&L L-2000. Great quality, terrific sound for the styles you mentioned, not too much $$$ and versatility out the whazoo.

12. How about one of these?
    www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194160750

It'll give you the P-bass tone, plus the pickup by the bridge has its own sound; not quite Jazz, but definitely not Stingray.

The neck is not as thin as a Jazz though; standard P-bass width.

It's a very versatile bass.

Mike

13. I'm not surprised that many of you are recommeding Fenders. I've tried a couple of stores to see if they have the Geddy Lee because I'd love to try one, but no success yet.

The Precision isn't right; I've never been comfortable with a Precision neck -- however, the Zon Sonus is a possibility but it's at the upper limit of my budget.

Keep the ideas coming; thanks!

14. +30000000

i just got a sklyine glaub for 600.
    i dont think im ever letting go of this....unless i get a USA Glaub

:bag:

15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    For the $1800 range, I'd look at a used Sadowsky Metro.

16. OK - the Glaub is a Jazz copy, right? How about the KSD Proto 70s J V4?

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've played the KSDs and wasn't impressed.

18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    No, the Glaub is a P-Bass copy, unfortunately (although you can get the more expensive USA version with a jazz neck).

19. I still haven't heard anybody talk about Warwick or Spector or the Sterling...

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Warwicks are not for everyone.. I'd (highly) recommend you try some before making that decision.