Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting over...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lockout, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Okay, well today I finally got a chance to go around the area trying out different bass amps...

I tried an SWR Goliath/Son of Bertha setup running through an SM-500, and wasn't very impressed, surprisingly. It sounded nice, but it just didn't have the low end I needed for my five string, it just didn't kick in the low range at all. However, I tried an Ampeg SVT-4pro through an Ampeg 8x10, and it sounded wonderful, almost exactly what I wanted.

So what I'm thinking right now is that I should get seperate pre/power amps, specifically an Ampeg SVP-Pro and possibly a QSC PLX1602. Now I need to know what cabs would work well in this situation, preferably something with serious low end for my five string.

I was considering getting an Ampeg SVT-410HLF and running it out of one channel of the PLX. Then I'd probably add another 410HLF later on and run them in stereo. What are your thoughts? I'm willing to spend around $1200-1400 on cabs if necessary. I want to get the best possible rig I can for the money, so I'm open to suggestions.

Personally I'm surprised I didn't like the SWR rig...I liked the sound of the Super Redhead we use at school, however I never tried it on a 5 string, so I didn't know how the low notes sounded.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i duno what sound you're going for, but for me, the best setup i could find was an ampeg preamp running a poweramp into SWR's 810.

Don't rule out the idea of mixing brands.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, that's why I said I'm open to suggestions, but I need something that's still relatively portable (That means no 8x10's ;))

4. Have you tried Eden cabs? I ran 2 210XLT's for a long time and loved them. They always pumped out plenty of volume for me. But the 410 HLF is a helluva cab...

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Nah, I've never heard any Eden cabs...I haven't seen any stores around here that sell 'em. I'd like to hear them though, to see what all the fuss is about :)

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Anyone else have any suggestions? :(

Will the rig I was talking about above work well?

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The SVT410HLF is a good cab. I like the 610HLF better but Ampeg claims better low end out of the 410...demo-ing them side by side at Guitar Center I thought the 610 had more booty. My favorite Ampeg cabinet is the PR410HLF. It smokes both SVT series cabinets. Problem is that they're heavy (135 lbs or something) and kind of expensive...about a grand at GC. I'd love to have a pair with my PLX2402!

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lockout...how far are you from Kenosha? I think that Music Genter of Kenosha (corner of Hwy 50 and Green Bay Rd) carries Eden.

410XLTs are supposed to be 'da bomb... I've played through some D210XLTs and wasn't that impressed...but that's me...

Let your ears be the judge.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oh yeah, looks like they do carry Eden stuff... I'll have to go check them out sometime, although it is somewhat of a long drive.

10. :rolleyes:

With that type of money I'm surprised you haven't thought of checking out everything at several stores. You can get any cab you want for 1400... Considering most stores don't carry 1000 dollar cabs... Dude, Avatar all the way:D

You can get just about any 4x10/2x12 you want... Exception to Eden and EBS and stuff, but come on... You've got enough money to be more than happy. Try dealing with sucky combo amps... Thats what im doing, I'd be thrilled just to have a GK 400 rb 2x10, sadly enough

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lessee ... 500 watts into one 15 or 1200 watts into eight 10's ... which will sound better? Maybe we'd better do a poll.

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

Four 10's and one 15 actually. But I'm not talking about loudness, just tone in general. I liked the Ampeg's sound, the SWR just seemed rather sterile to me. I DID try the Ampeg head with other Ampeg cabs, and they sounded better than the SWR imo...

13. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    its kinda big but i highly reccomend the genz benz 610T XB2. less expensive than an eden 410, blows it out of the water. it is bigger though. almost as big as an 810... not quite. it does fit into the back seat of a 4 door honda accord sedan though. nice kick in the pants, very loud, efficient, and -3 dB at 35 Hz. I just made the move to this cab, and alhtough it is large, its easy to move with the wheels (not to carry it though) and its worth every bit of effort.