1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting part-time luthier business

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Nov 6, 2013.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    Hello fellow talkbass-ers!

I've been searching around here for a little bit looking at ideas/information on building and every time I get on I learn something new. You all are awesome.

I've been thinking of selling the next bass I build and wondering, how would I go about starting a legal part-time business with an output of maybe 2-3 instruments a year max...if even that? I'm good with the technical tasks because of my CS background but do not know much about the business aspect of things. :help:

2. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    I am in the same boat, sir...I am subbing this one. Hoping for insight.
    Good luck!

3. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    If you are serious about this being a business then find your nearest chapter of SCORE and go talk to them.
    They'll get you straight about your business plan and structure, taxes, insurance... Otherwise it's just a hobby.

See the templates and tools section on the website for some starting info and questions you will want to get answered. Good Luck!

4. bluebird28

bluebird28

Feb 25, 2012
    Tacoma. WA
    Having searched for this "Templates and Tools Section" could you be so kind as to provide a link to this please.

5. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
  6. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Yes, sorry about that I meant on the SCORE site not here on TB.

http://www.score.org/resources/tab-a