Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting piano (as a bass player): what's best?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassGuyNL, Feb 26, 2002.

1. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I have been playing guitar for over 20 years, bass guitar for 15 years, and double bass for 5 years. Now I feel the need to start keyboard, first of all to be able to comp others with some nice jazzy voicings, but also to play tunes for/with my kids.
    Any advice on books, or the dilemma of starting teaching yourself vs teacher would be appreciated. I have been working a little with Jerry Coker's "Jazz Keyboard for non-pianists" and a sclaes book.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Well if you have the music theory to back the 20 yrs, which I'm suspecting you do, then you'll be great at piano...you should already have good hand dexertiy even though you should try stretching your hands as far as possible...I can get a 10 note stretch not counting sharps and flats...head down to Barnes and Nobles though...they always have those "fake" books with tons of good pianos tunes in them...everything from classical, jazz, and modern...