1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting To Dislike 10" Speakers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boy_Narf, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello Everyone!

I play two different setups. SB500H+TC1510 for home, and a SB200 for gigs. I've been struggling over the past few years trying to find an od and fuzz that sounds good with my fretless A4. I recently hauled the combo out of storage as I'm getting back into bass playing and hooked up the board last night. Wow! the tone is there with just my BB preamp. Very smooth upper mid response. In the cab with the 10's there always seems to be a harsh/honky sound that I can't dial out. I do love the 1510 with a guitar amp, but I'm starting to think 10" speakers with gain just aren't my cup of tea. I kept thinking it was the amp head, but I'm starting to think it's the 10's. What do you folks think? Any lovers of 10" speakers with fuzz/dirt?

Think I'm going to have to hit the next 0% Traynor financing event, and pick up a set of TC115 cabs.

2. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I only have 10's in the different cabs I have. So I can't comment if one size is better or not, but I would imagine different cabs, no matter the driver size, would react somewhat differently.

I have noticed quite a bit of difference on how different heads, with the same speaker cabs, sound different. And, I do have ones I like, and ones I don't.

shoot-r, cchorney, BrentD and 3 others like this.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    literally everyone playing metal through an ampeg 810 is in disagreement with you.

4. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    I tried a V4B through an 810 and it was super honky. Through 15's it was so much smoother. Guess it depends on the frequency response of the speakers, and the cab, and pretty much everything I suppose.

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    You can't pigeonhole a speaker diameter as having a performance characteristic. Plenty of wonderful sounding 10" cabs out there.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I think I dislike cars. Every one I've ever had has broken down. They must all totally suck. Trucks never do that. I guess I'm just a truck person.

7. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    I get it I'm an idiot for making a generalisation that all 10" speakers sound honky and emphasise a high mid characteristic that does not appeal to me. I apologise for wasting everyone's time. I will sell my 10's, buy 15's and be happy in my own world!

8. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    10's??? meh.

25's......now we're talking...

9. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    A 12" with a horn -- I'd take that over a 2x10 any day.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It's not just the speakers you're hearing. It's the cab design as well. They need to be specifically designed and paired in order to to get the sound you're looking for. For example, the same speaker will sound and perform differently in a ported as opposed to sealed cab. And there's ported cabs and then there's ported cabs. Different porting schemes will also make that same speaker sound and behave differently.

So don't judge a speaker by just the speaker.

11. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Go find an old Mesa 215.

BadExample, Aqualung60 and Ampslut like this.
  12. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Just get a Fearless F210, it'll change your mind completely... or an F110, either work wonders

Gearhead17 and Aqualung60 like this.
  13. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    That A4 has a peizo only, right? I seem to recall that my Acoustibass fretless was the same way and I had to be very careful to turn down some mids and highs to prevent it from being harsh. Definitely doable, but also capable of sounding nasty.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Michael Schreiber likes this.
  14. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Barefaced tens are in a different league. They sound superb with od and fuzz too.

Dp1363 likes this.
  15. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i exclusively play and endorse 11" speakers. really accentuate my toanz.

KB1UHJ, Hand slap, GregC and 5 others like this.
  16. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    410, 411 ... whatever it takes.

17. dr bonkers

dr bonkers Commercial User

Jul 4, 2016
    Paramus, NJ, USA
    Founder of Dr Bonkers Soundlab LLC, ir provider to audio modeler world
    It's a function of playing style, strings, pickups, bass electronics, preamp, and power amp coupled with bass speaker and cab design that makes a good distortion bass tone for each player.

Size of speaker plays a part of the equation but is not the entire equation in and of itself.

Best non-bi-amped drive tone I achieved with a Aguilar DB 810. Next best was with an Acoustic 406 2x15. In third was a Hartke 4x12 with all aluminum cones.

The amps were all different depending upon the cab.

bassbooty likes this.
  18. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    It is not the size of the speaker, it is how the cab was designed. I'm pretty sure you can find some good and bad sounding 15's just as easily as you can 10's or 12's. I know I have.

19. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    2 separate 12" cabs. Turn off the horn on one. It's magical.

Dp1363 and Mediocrity Man like this.
  20. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    I don't know the currrent technology of speaker design. But original use.of 10'' speakers were a necessary compromise. The first bass amps (Fender bassman) were known for speaker failure. Fender replaced a single 15? Speaker with 4 10's.
    Look at 810 ampeg cab lower end recommended response to 53 Hz. We know the cab is popular with metal where 5 string B0 is played on a regular basis. I am a fan of larger and fewer speakers and that is a generalized and heavily bias view.
    Who ever said bass player and common sense should appear in the same sentance:D