1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting to feel a little Carpal Tunnel - Wrist band help needed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Apr 4, 2016.

1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I've been staring to feel the beginning of some mild CTS. Nothing too bad so far and I have started with exercises and position/playing pressure changes.

I have read some helpful posts on TB and have a question for people who have experience:

What type of wrist band has been effective for you? (Please include a picture or example, if you can.)

Thanks!

Fergie Fulton likes this.
  2. The $20 brace from Walmart will do. Will do what? Keep your wrist straight. A bent wrist puts pressure on the tendons and CT develops. So wear the brace at night while sleeping, this will give your wrist 6 to 8 hours of rest. I like to put it on an hour or so before a gig. Even a little rest does help.

You may have pain starting at a specific time of the day. If so put the brace on a couple of hours before the time you normally start feeling the pain - give your wrist some rest, before it starts hurting.

The metal spoon in the brace holds your wrist straight, thus letting it rest. Sleeping with it on and a couple of hours prior to a gig seems to really help me.

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    What fingers are being affected...this is important info to post?

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    cold gel packs. the wearable type.
    before, during & after gigs.
    I ask the bar staff to put it in the fridge during sets.
    Fergie will have some really good suggestions

5. Yes, important to know. Carpal effects two fingers and Ulnar nerve damage is the other two. Or it could even be something else.

6. LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Sorry. I will be more specific.

I can get a shot of pain when I apply a lot of pressure behind the neck of the bass with my thumb. I tend to play heavy-handed so I know I need throttle the pressure back. I feel it on the exterior side of the thumb, between the wrist and the first joint, Close to the first joint. I have also experience some light numbing in my pinky finger, towards the tip.

It is not as bad as some have experienced, fortunately. I just want to try to keep it minimal as long as I can.

I looked at some wrist braces today at the Wall o' Greens in my area. I want to check out Walmart and see what they offer I buy one.

7. Well the good news is that isn't a symptom of Carpal Tunnel. The pinky numbness could be a sympton of the beginning of Ulnar Tunnel, but the symtoms are usually including the ring finger and it would be total numbeness or pain that feels like when you wake up sleeping on your hand and you wait for the feeling to come back, and it hurts like heck for a couple seconds. It would feel like that most of the time with numbness from time to time. At least that's the way it was for me.

Fergie Fulton and LowNloud1 like this.
  8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Good new is you do not have classic CTS symptoms, but you do have many symptoms of a Basal Joint injury or wrist strain.
    One of the issues with such injuries is the pain is not always at the point of damage, it is referd somewhere else....and maybe from somewhere else.

Seeing a medical professional is the best way to get to the bottom of it for the correct diagnosis and therefore correct treatment.

But there are a few things you can do to help either relieve and diagnosis or pain, this will help buid up a fuller picture of what you feel.

First off try some stretches, is it is muscle strain then helping to relieve/reduce the tension will help.
    If there is inflammation use ice packs to reduce the swelling, apply as directed.
    Use anti - inflammatory tablets that contain Ibuprofen to help relieve pain and swelling as directed.
    Use a good wrist/thumb brace, not a wrist band. Any type you use wants to wrap the thumb base and palm of hand. It will have a metal strip on it to help hold the correct angle, usually a playable soft metal strip.
    Try this for 4-5 day maximum on using the Ibuprofen if no improvement is coming.
    If it is feeling better continue with the course of Ibuprofen as directed.
    Make notes of where pain is, what it feels like, what you were doing when it occurred, type of pain..sharp, dull, aching etc. Such things are hard to recall when not always present.

Now all these things are relief, not diagnosis, so it is not getting to the bottom of your problem, so seeing a medical professional is the best case scenario to understanding what is causing you problem and how to address it.

For sure lossen that grip and straighten out you wrist lines when playing. Check mother things in your life to make sure they are not impacting on your wrist, playing may just highlight the problem, not be the cause of it.
    Reduce your playing/practice time....you may be over doing it, practice should be broken up in to smaller sessions with more resting in between.
    Good luck with it all and if I have not already mentioned it, see a medical professional for the best outcome.

Check out the links for some ideas and info.
    Hand Stretches

Fretting hand Info

Wrist/Thumb Brace types
    Wrist/Thumb Brace - Neoprene - Arthritis & Hand Position Splints - Health & Leisure

Gel Wrist, Hand & Thumb Support Glove

Basic Wrist Brace - Arm, elbow, hand & wrist : Ability Superstore

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    LowNloud1 and 1stnamebassist like this.
  9. LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    Thank you all so much! TB has always been a great source of support and info for fine tuning solutions!

I will review the exercises and make sure I apply them correctly and research/use the wrist braces.

I am a side sleeper so it makes perfect sense that sleeping that way is part of the numbness problem. I will have to sleep on my back more often (even though the wife will likely try to suffocate me for snoring!)

I am really motivated be proactive on this. I was exercised before and tried new positions and pressures last night at practice and I had a good night with no events of shooting pain and no numbness this morning.

It is becoming evident that I need to pay attention to my wrists now to extend my time as a bass player and avoid a more serious/quicker onset in the future.

As always, people's experiences and advice here on TB have made a difference!