1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting to get comfortable with the Shuttle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JKT, Sep 22, 2008.

1. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Had two small club dates this weekend. I'm starting to sort out how this little amp works. Gain staging was the most different aspect compared to the GK.

My guitar player just got a radically different amp set-up too, and so we're both going through the process.

He noticed down at his end of the small stage we were on, that the rear ported cab delivered a bit more low end than he was used to. A small adjustment made him happy and didn't really change my trip at all.

I'm pretty comfortable with the low and high end of things. I need to learn to control the mids a bit better and all will be well.

JKT

2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Same here. The most dramatic improvements have come through experimentation with the mids. Usually bass is at 1:00 or 1:30 and treble is at 11:30. It depends on the room and whether I use one NeoX-112T cab or two, and on the instrument. Generally my Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass sounds best with lower mids boosted. Huge, deep tone. My wooden Steinberger modified to sound like an upright is best tuned with a boost to the mids, including a slight mid boost on the bass's preamp. Very organic, air-infused sound. I've got a JJ / Tesla ECC83s 12AX7 tube coming to swap in as an experiment. Overall, the tones I've achieved with Shuttle 6 are great!

3. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    So what exactly have been your choices with regards to mid freq selection and shape switches?

JKT

4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006

For the fretless Steinberger, I set the mids at 1:30 and the mid frequency at noon.

For the Fender, I set the mids at 1:30 / 2:00 and the mid frequency at 8:30 / 9:00.

I never use the shape switches; haven't found a need for them. When stacked, the top cab's tweeter is on 9:00 and the bottom tweeter is off. When I use one cab, the tweeter is at 9:00.