Starting to learn the spider (4 finger) technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheInsane, Feb 1, 2003.

1. When I started playing the bass I learned the two finger walk technique. It worked well for the songs I started out with. However I became a member in a "practice band" and we played Fear Of The Dark (Iron Maiden) and I couldn't play it with my fingers at the time (my hand got tired and started to hurt). This was in 1998 or so. I started to use a pick and was very comfortable with it. But now I have decided to pick up the finger method again. And while I'm at it I think of learning how to play the four finger techueniqe. I have read one article on the subject ( and have started to use his exercises. Now I'm just wondering if anyone here have any advices, other links to articles etc please post it. I think it is great to know how to play both with a pick and with your fingers.
  2. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    I usually play with all four fingers. I personally don't think it is that much faster than two, just a lot more comfortable. I would recommend learning it, just because it is easier, and your hand probably won't get tired as fast. The article says to pick 1-2-3-4. I prefer to pick 1-3-2-4, because I was able to play more cleanly that way, but do whatever feels comfortable to you. The finger excercises should be helpful.
  3. Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    3 fingers works best for me... if I use 2, my hand cramps up too quickly, and I can't use 4 because my pinky is short and stupid and not coordinated with anything...

I don't know what order I use... I think it's something like 1-2-1-2-3... hehe. Yeah.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used to always think that more fingers = more speed....I've found I can play with 2 fingers much much much faster than I ever could with 3. I dabble with 4 fingers for a while, but I didn't find it very comfortable, but thats probably cause my pinky finger is kind of lame.
  5. I see where you are coming from. My pinky also have a hard time compared to it's mates (mostly because it is so short) :p I also tried 3 finger style (3-2-1-2) and that worked surprisingly good for a first time. When it comes to speed I need it very much (I play all kinds of metal). Mostly there is no problem if I use a pick but playing metal with the speed it often requires is very hard with only two fingers. I guess the person I have in my thoughts when thinking "four fingers style" is Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse. I am so amazed by this guy that he plays this fast brutal death metal only with his fingers. Well anyway, keep the coments coming...
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm a little doubtful about the Hanging Ten lesson, especially the tape thing is likely to produce injuries.

I can play 4-finger style ok, and never taped my fingers, so you can learn without it.

Also he tells you nothing about exercises, apart from the spider, and this would've been more important than the taping IMO.

Still a good platform to start your own endeavours from.