Starting to look for a new rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by invader3k, Jan 14, 2006.

1. OK, so I'm starting to get pretty tired of my Peavey TNT-115 combo that I've had since 1999. It's not bad...used it at a NYE gig in a small bar and the volume was fine. It's just that the tone is not very good. In a thread a while back I detailed how I was having issues with it distorting on certain low notes (doesn't matter which bass or input I use)...well, I spent about 90 bucks getting it "fixed" at the store I bought it from, and it still does the same thing. So I'm thinking it's time to move on to something bigger and better.

I play in a three piece (well, two piece right now since we need a new drummer...) rock cover band...mainly classic rock with some punk and alternative thrown in. We mainly do small and medium sized gigs, no big arenas or anything ;) We've done the occasional outdoor gig, but not like with huge crowds or anything.

I really like the Ampeg sound. I have a small BA-110 I use for personal practice and really like the tone. I would like to move up to something more versatile than a combo a stack and head set up. I have zero experience playing through a set up like this, so I need some recommendations.

My budget is probably about $1000 or a little more. I want something that can go deep without distorting or sounding "farty" and with good midrange. I was looking at the Ampege B2RE & BSE-410HLF set up and that seems like it could fit the bill for me, but opinions on this board regarding those pieces sounds mixed. Thoughts?
  2. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    If your willing to look at used equipment:

Mesa Malkabout head $600 used
    Bag End S15XD $350 used

Personally I think it is a killer rig you could add a second cabinet down the line and your original purchase would be within your price range. You could also look for a used IAMP 350 and an Aguilar cabinet 1x12 or Eden 2x10. These should all be within your budget.

All the above combinations give you a choice of speaker size along with either a solid state or hybrid power.

It might be difficult to try these different combinations in WI so do some research first!!!

3. As far as used goes, I guess I'm willing to look at it, but frankly I haven't had much luck with used gear in the past. It always seems like some unexpected "surprise" pops up sooner or later that could have been avoided purchasing new...also, being in Wisconsin, there aren't a ton of good used shops...there is a "Music Go Round" in Milwaukee I was at a couple weeks ago that had a decent selection. Anyone know if those stores are reputable? Seemed like they had fair prices, and decent amount of bass rigs.

One thing about used gear recommendations...a Mesa Walkabout and Bag End cab would be nice, I'm sure, but how easy is it going to be for me to find those pieces of gear in good condition at fair prices? :confused:
  4. Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    If you want new, the Ashdown Mag 300 head with Avatar cabinet is good. Avatar has reduced prices on the heads when you buy their cabinets.
    For $1000 you could get a full stack of Avatar with the Mag head.
  5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I've purchased items from this site, ebay, basscentral, BassNW and

I am sure with a little research you could find each and everyone of those pieces in good condition. You can take advantage of all these guys with "gas" that do more buying then playing and find items at half the new cost in almost perfect condition.

6. To go back to my original post, does anyone have opinions on the Ampeg set up I mentioned in my original post?

Thanks for the comments thus far.
  7. As much as I like the higher end Ampeg stuff, I was not a huge fan of the B2R I had. While the tone was real nice, it was extremely underpowered.
  8. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    +1 on Avatar cabinets. I have the Delta 210 and 212 and am quite pleased.

I'm looking for a new head right now as well. I'm considering Ashdown and Yorkville as well as the Ampeg B1RE. You could get a similar setup for around $1000.
  9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Good luck on your new purchases. I have had a TNT since 1980. I've dropped it, tipped it over, spilled stuff on it and generallt beat the sh^t out of it for 25 years and it just won't give in. Since I reconfigured my rig, our keyboard player has been using it so he can get more stage volume. I've always been a big Peavey fan, and always will be, even though at this stage in my life, I can afford higher end gear.
  10. Yeah, it is durable, I'll give it that. It's just that I'm not getting very good tone from it at all. Like I mentioned, it distorts on certain low notes (like an annoying, farty distortion). Sounds like something in the cabinet is shaking, but I have no way of knowing for sure, and I'm not an electrician. I don't want to keep dropping money into it to get it "fixed", since the few shops around here that still do repairs don't seem to have any clue.
  11. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If memory serves, there was a run of TNTs where the cabinet was put together wrong, causing one of the panels to vibrate against a cleat internally. You can sometimes punch the back of the cabinet or hit it with a rubber mallet in the center and hear a knock if that's the problem. It's a pretty easy fix.

If you sent it back to service they could fix it whatever the problem is.
  12. Yeah, I suppose I could, actually call Peavey about it. A sensible thought that hadn't occured to me. I was just a little miffed 'cause I took it to Ward-Brodt in Madison where I bought it (and they have American Appliance do the repairs, since that is the only place in the area that actually does electronics repair anymore), and they supposedly fixed it but it still has the same problem. So, maybe I will call Peavey tomorrow and see if I have any recourse before plunking down good money on a new rig. I just need better tone one way or the other, that's what I know.