Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting to play

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist777, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Bassist777

Bassist777

Mar 23, 2005
    Hey guyz, i'm thinkin' bout starting playing bass guitar. I used to be a drummer but i live on a 14 floor apartment so I can't have a durmset :/ (not very practical) so I could only play drums at skool with my friends.
    This hasn't given me enough expirience with drums and I have lost interest. But I still want to play an instrument and I looked at guitar and bass. At my school, every1 plays guitar so I wanted to do bass instead. (much more original)
    If you have any tips or suggestions of any kind, I would luv to hear them.
    Thx a lot

Dave

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Dave,

I played drums for years and always had an underlying urge to play bass. I would jam on the drums and everytime we took a break, I would pick up the bass and hack around.
    Two years ago I took the plunge and started playing bass. No regrets whatsoever......I absolutely love it. My advice?
    Borrow a bass if you can because if you buy one and get bored, you loose money. If you have to buy, get a decent beginner bass without spending too much. I know my fellow bass players on tb will be able to lend their expertise as to what models they might recommend. Take lessons to further your understanding of the instrument and musical ability. I found, and still find lessons a big help. Finally..... have fun with it.

Good luck.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey man

The best drummers in the world have to be able to play quietly. I thin it was the drummer froM Springsteen who lived in a new york loft, and he was the best drummer in the world because he had to play quiet. I Suggest if you want, keep with the drums man

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Check out electric drumsets, they've come a long way recently and sound great!

But if you're set on bass, get a teacher, take him with you to a store, and find a bass that speaks to you. Let the teacher take it from there.

5. zerodown1432

zerodown1432

Aug 28, 2004
    Orlando, FL

Isn't the drummer from Springsteen on the Conan O'Brien show now? Max Weinberg...

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Um...Yea i think so.

7. Bassist777

Bassist777

Mar 23, 2005
    K guyz, thx,
    any1 no a good teacher i could find in the NYC area?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ