Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stat-B mounting

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ben Rose, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    In Schertler's mounting instructions for the Stat-B, a triangular piece of wood is shown inserted into the wing of the bridge.

Should this piece be glued onto the bridge? Has anyone found another way of mounting the pickup?

2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I have a bunch of experience with that pick up and in all the experimenting that I have done with it (and the other bassists that I've known) the glueed in wood chip with the pick up facing toward the body of the bass gives the best sound. Be careful not to wedge it in too tight (or loose for that matter) I found that having a luthier or wood worker glue the pieces in will ensure a well coupled joint. It is important to sand the chip and clamp it as the glue dries so that there is a tight fit with minimal glue filling in the gaps.
    Best of luck
    VOTE

P

3. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Thanks. I have it mounted with the cork facing the G-string and without any wood chip. It sounds not-so-great.

I think I will take it to my luthier for the glue in wood chip piece.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I bought a Stat-B from a luthier who included some old broken bridge pieces to build up the hole if necessary. My bass (New Standard Cleveland) has inverted egg-shaped holes, with the pointy side of the egg facing down. Many basses have more evenly circular holes, with a flattish bottom that enables the pickup to stand more or less straight up.

My Stat-B is fairly loosely wedged in at about a 45 degree angle (the metal part is pointing roughly toward the E-side bridge foot). I carved the top of the cork to fit the curve of the upper part of the bridge hole and wedged a few spare bits of cork between the side of the hole and the side of the pickup. It's a little bit kluged, but it's never come out on its own. I wouldn't recommend gluing any part of the pickup itself.

This explanation will probably make zero sense to anyone unfamiliar with the Stat-B--sorry. I love the way the pickup sounds in this position, and I've actually found that it's not too critical to have the black part (on the bottom of the metal thingy) in full contact with the bridge, at least on my bass.

IME putting the pickup in too tight will cut bass, compress the sound, and mess with the string balance. I've been pleased enough with the Stat-B's sound the way it's mounted that I've never bothered to build up a little wooden mount for it. I've also experimented with it upside down; in the E-side hole; and in the bridge heart, but it definitely sounds best pointing up in the G-hole.

The Stat-B sounded great when my bass had old Spiro Mittels and a set of gut-like Innovation Honeys. It's a little bright with new-ish Pirastro Jazzers so I'm using the BassMax more these days. The preamp can go from super low to line level while barely using any battery, but I wish it had a phase switch and a mute. Oh well--it's a great way to get away from the piezo sound.

5. Does anyone happen to have any pictures of this arrangement? I'm re-considering my mothballed Stat-B, and I'd love to get some ideas of how others have mounted theirs.

Thanks!