Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STAT-PRE vs. PRE-AII

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jazzy J, Jul 19, 2005.

1. jazzy J

jazzy J

Aug 8, 2003
    Is there any sonic difference in the STAT-PRE vs. the PRE-AII, if you set aside the EQ capabilities and the dual outputs on the PRE-AII?

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    jazzy J, I sent an email to chris@schertler.com posing this question. I decided to try and go straight to the source if you will. I will let you know when and if I get a reply.

P.S. The first email address I tried was off www.schertler.com, and for the U.S. it was 'info@schertlerusa.com'. But my email came back undeliverable.

If you have the time, you may want to look around on their site for additional email contacts in Europe and see what other company reps have to say. But I have to get back to my "real" job now (unfortunately).

Peace

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't think the pre-aII produced a higher quality sound or anything. But I was trying it with my stat-b. The dyn-b users here may have a very different opinion from mine.

4. jazzy J

jazzy J

Aug 8, 2003
    Hey, I do have some time.
    However I did get an e-mail from Schertler Switzerland this morning (it's 10 am in Belgium now; you're probably still an la-la-land now).
    It would be 493 dollars for the STAT-b with PRE-A-II. They didn't include VAT as my package might get held back at the custom office in Belgium so I'll have to pay 21 % in order to get my package. I'll try to talk her into writing a lower value on the package.
    I'll decide if I'll buy off of Schertler Switzerland some time next week.

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    jazzy J, I got an email back from chris@schertler.com. He said:

"After setting aside the major differences of EQ and dual outputs, there is also the fact that the PRE-A II is AC powered, not battery powered. This delivers consistent output levels with no battery deterioration. Clearly the PRE-A II provides more tonal and performance versatility."​
    Then I sent him a note back and said in theory, if there was such as thing as a "perfect" 9V battery, do the two preamps sound any different?

I will let you know when he replies.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Tbeers, thanks for your reply. I suspect maybe the "guts" of the two preamps are essentially the same design, but I think we're trying to determine that with a little more certainty. Thanks again!

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    jazzy J, here is the second email response from chris@schertler.com:

"The PRE-A II sounds 'better' because it enables the user to EQ the tone to his/her satisfaction.

Yes, the PRE-A II works very well with the STAT-B pickup. We market this system as the STAT-B Select."

I may be reading too much into this, but I think I am going to conclude that if you set aside the EQ capabilities and the dual outputs on the PRE-AII, the STAT-PRE and the PRE-AII basically sound the same. Tbeers seems to agree, but let's see if others chime in.

Hope this has helped ...

8. jeffpau

jeffpau Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Paris, France
    "the STAT-PRE and the PRE-AII basically sound the same"

In fact, not really: the electronics is certainly not the same and the preAII offer a 180Hz filter (they called it "resonance filter") -> it give to the stat-b a rounder sound than the stat-pre. It's the verdict if my ears when I did the A/B comparison (with everything flat on preAII)

Don't forget also that the preAII is also a good DI with 2 outputs : one to the PA, the other to your amp (it perhaps explain the price).

You can also use the preAII with another microphones (dynamics, because of the limited phantom power : only 12V) : it works well in studio with RE-20.

Hope this helps !!

9. jeffpau

jeffpau Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Paris, France
    It's the verdict if my ears

oups, sorry for my bad english :crying:

just read : verdict of my ears ...