state of music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 14, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    What are your views on the music and the music industry
    today? And what do u think new bands/artists should do in order to make themselves "original" and beat the rest?
    What do u think should also be done about the stat of the music industry?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That's a lot of ground to cover. A lot of the new "bands" are not very good. Rock has gone downhill, (popular rock, anyway) but there are some bands worth listening to. If you're getting most of your music from the radio, all you're going to hear is rap/metal, rap, metal, metal/metal, or pop. There is a lot of good rock being made today, it's just not "popular" to play good 'ol rock and roll. That's why I mostly listen to classic rock stations on the radio.

There are a lot of good modern bands out there, but they don't get a lot (if any) radio play, which I still don't get. Some really talented bands are starting to break through (The GetUp Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, who's earlier stuff is incredible). Independent bands, and bar bands are what I usually listen to.

It's really easy to bitch and moan say that everything on the radio is crap and that music is going garbage. To an extent, I think the industry is at a plateau (that, hopefully, will ber overcome soon) but there's still a lot of good music out there if you look for it. Just remember, it's real easy to criticize music that you don't like. Whenever you hear someone say "Today's music is crap! I hate the industry! Music hasn't been good since 1972!", just say "So what are you going to do about?;)".
  3. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Yeh i think the only way music can really flurish is by, getting rid of the beurocrats who are just trying to make money and get some good old fashioned talent out there.
    I mena for god's sakes, people are comparing westlife to the Beatle's and that is just not on! people today have no real understanding of musical nostalger! I mean they seem to think that ****e mixing decks just appeared.
    If it wasn't for pioneers like Elvis and The Beatle's we probably wouldn't of had any rock n' roll as it wasn''t excepted back then. So i mean for people to say the beatles etc.. were crap that is hog wash.This is proved by the way the the media, and television compare WESTLIFE, to the BEATLES'. You know that is blasfamic!
  4. Too bad that last one sounds so much like Yes.

But I agree. It's all out there, you just have to look for it. My latest discoveries:

Starlight Mints: The Pixies meet The Flaming Lips at an Olivia Tremor Control show.

Apples In Stereo: Great pop music.

Crooked Fingers: Eric Bachman from Archers of Loaf. Bruce Springsteen meets Leonard Cohen.

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Chamber music for the apocalypse.

But the greatest hope I have seen for the music industry lately is the fact that Kid A by Radiohead debuted at #1 on the American charts. That is a major accomplishment for a record that is not being promoted, has no single, and is generally considered "highbrow" music.

Keep looking. Truly great things lie beneath the top 40. Next time you go to the record store, don't go to Tower. Go to the local college record store and try out something new. We all need to patronize our independent stores so that they can continue to stock "risky" music.

5. The problem is not the music, it's the listeners, they don't listen! How many people listen to music carefully? Most people do it while doing something else. People have to be educated, they will raise their standards and the music industry will have no choice but to offer a better product. Frankly, I doubt this will ever happen.
  6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I hope there was REALLY some true metal on the radio...I guess you just don't know what metal actually is,to say something like that...
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I guess that depends on what you consider metal, ay? ;)

People call Dream Theater metal. I call them prog rock. People call Everclear music. It's all opinion, you know? It's one thing to categorize music, it's another to be pissy about it. (Not that you were, Dragon, but just people in general.) Some of my friends won't talk to each other because they won't agree on what "emo" music is. Narrow-minded people won't listen to something if it's not AcidTripMathCore, and rip on every other form of music.

You are correct, however, there could be more "true metal" on the radio, though I am not much of a fan. I have some Pantera CDs and... wait... is Pantera metal? Oops... I guess I don't know what metal is, to say something like that.
  8. IMHO I think it all starts from the schools. How many public schools still teach kids the basics of music? The music department is usually the first to go! So the only type of music that a lot of teens and younger are exposed to is what they're fed by the media, hence we have the MTV generation. I doubt that the "music industry" is really out there to make good music. It's all about making music that sells. The power of media is overwhelming...

But I wouldn't say that the music industry has fallen apart because I do think there are a lot of great musicians out there. It's just a lot of them that I know aren't out there for all the glory. They're just there to enjoy the music.

It's sad, though, that you see kids now-a-days dream about being in some boy(or girl)-band and want to have teenaged groupies rather than becoming a good musician.
  9. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    The state of music is fine. The pop fads will come and go and the truly good bands will stay. This is the balance that keeps music alive today.
  10. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    The state of music is great.. I have studio in my house that I could only dream off 10 years ago.. I can come up with any idea an put it on tape in no time.

Sure rock has gone down the drain a little, but that is good .- maybe todays music revolution is dance, trance, and house music. Who knows?

On the other hands is sad to see the rolling stones doing the same thing after 50 years.
  11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    It is the local and underground bands who are really putting out quality music these days in my opinion. My town, IMO, has some the greatest talent you can find, and does not, on the whole, play the garbage that is deemed "popular" by radio standards. I urge you to go to;
    look up the top 100 listings for
    North America, United States, Georgia, Aiken-Augusta
    listen to some tracks and tell me what ya think. I think you will all be very impressed.

Also, go to artist search for these local bands

420 Outback
    Galen Kipar

do yourself a favor and listen
  12. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Just my .02.

I think music is in the same state now that it always has been. A state of flux. If music wasn't constantly changing, we'd all be playing a one string bass made out of a hollow log. If change wasn't acceptable there would be no rock, metal rap or bluegrass music.

I have to wonder if the state of music isn't much better than the attitude of the people listening to and performing the music. The number of possible styles and genres of music is endless.

Someone mentioned Elvis. Well I was around when old swivel hips became a super star. Even then, change was challenged. I agree that EP played a major role in the music that is popular even today. You know there wasn't even an electric bass in his band. If someone hadn't accepted change, we'd all be playing upright bass.

How one person can get angry at another person because of musical preferences totally defies reason. It's not like there can only be one interpretation of what constitutes "good" music. What is GOOD music to one may be only noise to someone else. what is noise to me may be the most beautiful sound that you've ever heard. It's all

It's a big, big wagon. There's room for everyone.
  13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    PkR2, I don't think so much that it is change that alot of the people on this thread are complaining about, but rather the lack of quality and merit in the changing music. I remember when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden totally changed the face of rock music back in the early 90s, virtually ending the hair band era. Those early grunge bands were a change from the standard at the time, but the music had merit. It had something special. And people liked the change (well, most anyway). But when you had rap/metal and new metal coming out, virtually killing alternative music (what ended up coming out of grunge IMO). Limp Bizkit, Korn, and others thrived during this time and still are. However, Limp Bizkit and Korn, IMO doesn't possess any merit and value. Another case in point as follows. Disco in the 70s was a change, wasn't it? Not all change is good, and the changing music of today is an example of bad change.
  14. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Good points, JWC. However my point is that no music can be popularly embraced unless it has value and merit to someone.

"But when you had rap/metal and new metal coming out, virtually killing alternative music (what ended up coming out of grunge IMO)."

I don't think that rap/metal and new metal killed alternative music. If alternative is really dead(which I doubt) the people who listen to and buy the music killed it. How could I play anything that could be detrimental to what someone else plays.

I made good money playing bluegrass for years after it was no longer considered the "cool" thing to listen to. I don't think rock killed bluegrass. If anything, the contrast helped bluegrass. The popularity of rock took a lot of my competition away. :)

By the way, glad you've perked up some. :) :)

15. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Thanks PkR2. glad to be back. The world has HELL to pay and I ain't go nowhere!
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    wow, i'm impressed. this is probably one of the most intelligent threads i've ever seen in the "misceallaneous" category.

i agree with what everyone has said about flux and and how the music industy has and will change. all the pop bands will eventually go down the tubes, but my question is: what will they be replaced by? will people begin to appreciate technique again? does that mean progressive rock will reign? or will people actually look for artistic quality in popular music?
  17. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Check out Geddy Lee's solo album, My Favorite Headache. You will really enjoy it, but it will also leave you hungry for some new Rush.
  18. I love these kinds of discussion.

As far as the state of music... well...

I can say this much. It's fine... except for a few things. The key one is lack of challenge or innovation that exists on the mainstream. I don't mean just musically but lyrically, visually and overall. Everything is geared more towards the package and how much can we sell (and even the packages don't look good).

I make this statement based on my own personal tastes since I am a musical consumer with a tried and true basis of judgment. Plus anything I say here will be worked on soon! ;) :)

I know it isn't much but it's just my own $0.02

Derek J. Power
  19. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Every generation and even every segment of each generation chooses a genre,for lack of a better word, of music that makes a statement about about thier own time in life.

I like to define "good music" as music that will stand the test of time. If people will still be appreciating a song after 2 or 3 generations, it's a good song.

Lots of the heavilly played current songs are ok to listen to but don't have the stamina to stand up to the time test.Not to pick on a particular genre of music, but just to point out an example. I don't care at all for rap but lots of people do. The rhythm of rap is great. The videos are colorful and it's providing entertainment for a lot of people. How many people will be listening to the rap songs that are popular now, 30 years from now? My guess would be very few. Disco is another example. Started out hot but cooled off quick.

Times change but good music lives forever. :)
  20. jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey folks,

Very cool thread.

I think it's a really weird time for the music industry. It seems true that the most interesting music is being produced independently by artists themselves and is happening in small clubs. While in some ways it's always been this way it seems like these days you REALLY have to look to find the more challenging music. A lot of it is by word of mouth. Who can say at this point whether that's good or bad.

JWC listed a bunch of bands I've never heard of but I'll check out. There should be an ongoing thread of "Recommended Current Non-Mainstream Listening"(wow that's wordy) or "Great Local Bands" so if you're ever doing any travelling you'd know who to check out.

I recommend Jonatha Brooke to anyone. It's smart folk rock with killer harmonies and excellent lyrics. Her new album(not out yet) has Marcus Miller and Joe Sample playing on it. If she can attract players like this, you know it's got to be something good. The fact that her music has not been embraced by the mainstream is STAGGERING and says a lot about record companies nowadays.