Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Static from jack...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by merc50, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Okay, I traded for a used 05 Rick and it was working fine and then I started gettng static when I would walk around.

My first thought was the the cable was bad but if I plug in anything else no static.

I took the four screws off and looked at the jack/plug to see if any thing looked wrong and every thing looks okay.

Put it back together and I still have the issue.

I gave it some thought and I did take the cover off the rear pick up (like everyone does on a rick) so I double checked my ground from putting it back together and still no change.

Than I noticed if I put my hand on the cable I can "hear it " with some more static sometimes.

If I tip the bass around it does it also.

Thing has no warrenty since it is used and I got it from GC and I do not think they even work on the stuff at that store...not sure.

Anyhow, any ideas on what would be the problem and what I can try to do to fix it?

Does it sound like a ground issue or a bad plug?

If I do not push the cable in all the way it does not seem to give me any static, but if I push it in all the way and it clicks into the socket then the problems start.

Never had a bass give me trouble before...is this something I can fix or should I take it so somebody?

Any ideas on the cost to fix something like this?

Could the cable be going too far into the socket?

I am not intimidated by working on it but I know little on how the socket even works...so any help or suggestions would be a big help.

Thanks...

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I think it might be a bad jack. I actually order a flush jack for my bass to replace it. (i have experience soldering stuff) But there is something like a wash that is covering it so I cannot screw it off. :-(

3. Sounds to me like the shape of the detente of the plug doesn't fit the shape of the prong on the jack. When you push the plug in all the way, the shapes don't match well enough to hold together well and it moves too much making the crackle. You can verify this by removing the jack (wired) from the bass and inserting your cord. Look at the contact point where the tip meets the prong and see if they meet and make good contact and hold onto each other tightly. If not, replace it with a good quality Switchcraft replacement.