Static from Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by louloomis, May 18, 2007.

1. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi. I had posted the beginning of this story about buzzing/static in another forum, but since the problem is with a pickup after all....

Here's the latest:

1. I am using a P/J bass. It is a Yamaha BB1200 (something like that) from the '80s. Passive pickups and the J pickup has a single blade pole piece. When I push down on the blade pole piece, the static problem gets worse, but it exists even when I don't push down on the blade pole piece.

2. The buzzing/static sound is most prominent on the D string, but also exists elsewhere. It has gotten louder over the last few days.

3. The static only exists when I have the J pickup soloed or mixed with the P. The P alone doesn't have the problem.

4. I held all the tuners to see if there was some tuner vibration or sympathetic vibration causing this and it wasn't. The cause isn't vibration at the bridge or between the nut and tuners.

5. The static sound comes through whatever amp I use and also through my mixing board, but only with this bass and only on the "J" pickup.

6. I tested the pickup with a multimeter and it tests strong, ohm-wise.

Obviously the problem is with the J pickup. Can this be the result of a microphonic pickup? Will potting the pickup help? Is there something else I can do short of this?

Thanks,
    LL

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

sounds more like normal single hum than microphonics. You could dip it for kicks and grins since apparently the pup is useless to you otherwise. It may resolve the issue, I had that happen once.

If you're just trying to get rid of the noise than a Jhb should resolve that. If you want to keep the tone of that pup and replace the noise then you may have to go through some pups to get there.

Could be about anything though. Even ungrounded pup screws have been know to act like antennae and cause interference. Ground loops, on and on.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021