1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Static Harsh fizzy box of bees noise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by paradigm_shift, Apr 21, 2009.

1. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Im looking for a sound.. essentually a wall of harsh noise.. think static like tuning a radio or a tv off station..but controlled by a bass or guitar..
    Are there any effects pedals that will get me there?

Its almost everything Ive abhored in tone previously but it suits the project I'm trying to do .

Harsh fizzy box of bees noise. Any particular Fuzz's,overdrives, distortions, White noise generators? I'd prefer relative accessable over out of production rare items if possible.

2. Devi Ever fuzz pedals come to mind. Check out her site and look over some of the pedals. I'm pretty sure you'll find what you're looking for.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    My Supercollider Beat with the Osc 1 switch on does this. Not the high pitched constant harsh static, but more of a organic bubbling static that's more pleasing tothe ears. It's very easy to control too, the noise sweeps in when your notes fade out, and you can alter the timbre/pitch of the noise with your volume/tone controls on your bass.

These pedals are hard to get hold of but fortunately it's easy to mod a big muff with a similar feedback loop using a switch and a couple of wires!

4. Something like these?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919075&content=music

(listen to the Ring Mod ones)

It's an FM4 on the Octasynth setting (which just sounds like a Ring Modulator to me) into a Tubescreamer clone and then into my Mac laptop totally dry - no amp sims, compression etc. Used my ol' early '80's Peavey Foundation, if anyone's interested.

This is only a sample - with a bit of messin' around I'm sure I could have made the bees angrier. It's also possible to blend in less (or more) of the original signal.

5. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Hmm I hadnt really considered synth.. I do recall one of the boss syb pedals having quite a static type noise from memory now though... The ring mod sounds are cool..seeking something colder and more metallic though..

6. A ring mod isn't actually a synth - all it does is take your instrument's signal and modulate it with either an internally generated carrier wave or another external signal. They're really sensitive to your playing; both the note itself and how hard you play.

7. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    This may or may not be of much use for you, but the Moog CP251 and MP201 have Noise generators that work with a filter that has CV input (ie Moog LPF). Around the frequency cutoff of the filter you can dial in a little to a lot of (white?) cottony-fuzzy noise. With the MP201 and the LPF you set the cutoff frequency where you want most of the noise and as you rock the pedal forward it gets thicker/more intense. Use the envelope level to dial in any bubbling/building of intensity based on your attack, or no envelope for a static amount of... static. Resonance amplifies it and gives it a slightly higher pitch.

8. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    not entirely sure if its what you had in mind but first thing I thought of was the subdecay noisebox,....

depending on what you do with the sensitivity knob you can pretty much let it ring all day,... I had a clip of mine where after the intial attack it would ring until I put my hand across the strings or actually played proerly with stocatto (sp?) notes... playing notes leaving them to ring out would take ages and pretty much cascade into a white noise effect,.... I loved it even if I couldnt find a practical use for it,... still too hard to make that one musical and make my band mates like it but I love it!

9. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    SYB-5 on mode 10, with the decay and rate knobs cranked all the way up will buzz like a beehive and chirp like a cricket. well, kind of.

10. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    What do you mean by this exactly? How much control.

If you just mean noise happens when you play and doesn't when you don't, then it would be SUPER easy to DIY a noise generator with a gate triggered by your playing, or if you don't DIY, you could pick up a noise gate that has a loop (I recommend DOD FX30B, they go for $40 all day or $20 if you're patient) and a CD or tape player or ipod with a recording of noise. Then just put the bass into the INPUT of the gate and the noise into the RETURN and when you play the noise will happen, and when you don't it won't.

If you want more control, please specify.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'll do you a clip if you like to show what I'm talking about, but there's some of in in this clip: http://www.box.net/shared/enube1p1f8

12. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Bees? Sounds like a BOSS ODB-3 set with way to much high endn and way too much gain!

13. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Moog Ringmod into a GGG-tuned muff (or other high gain muff) w/ the tone up might get you there.

14. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Hmm ok So with some more thought I've come to the conclusion that the kind of control I want is more pitch orientated... I want a constant static I dont want room to breathe. Is their any kind of harmonizer/pitch shifter that I could sidechain to a guitar and feed a (white?) noise generator through -so that the noise would bend pitch to equivalent frequency with a guitar/bass. Does that sound right? I have a sound in my head that I want to achieve, I just dont know how to get it. I dont want chirpy filter type sounds, or high end squeel, more dirty gritty fuzzy static... I hate trying to describe sound with words.. theres been some avenues I hadn't looked at opened to me in this thread, just havent found the ONE yet for this particular sound.

Its a black/industrial/noise concept so im going for opressive and unpleasant.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Crappy AM radio -> Digitech Whammy -> Distortion -> Crappy guitar practice amp ?

16. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Noise doesn't have a pitch. It can be made to seem to have a pitch by using a key-tracking bandpass filter, but it doesn't have a pitch. I think you just want really distorted bass.

17. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
  18. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    mxr bluebox on the cheap. 60 bucks or so used

19. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
  20. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest