Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Static Loopers

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 13, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hi Steve.

Well I recent got my self a couple of loopers and such for a real crack at this solo bass lark :smug:

One that I picked up was a Maneco Nanolooper which is as far as I know is a clone of the old EHX 16 Second Delays, so it's a static looper where you set the time first the time first and then loop with in that, as opposed to pressing start and stop buttons as most of us do.

Now I'm wondering if you have any experiance with these types of devices, and do you feel that they are too limiting in there operation and I'd be better with something like the new digitech jamman. I'm also using a Boss DD-20 which does function as a start/stop looper but if you knock it into bypass accidentally you lose your loop and it has no undo function.

I suppose what I'm asking is, is the cool retro sheek of the sound of these old loopers like the maneco's, ehx and digitech pds's worth it or does looping need a more modern approach.

Also could you recomend some music that uses loopers like these, (I Presume lots of old Fripp stuff but I have no idea which album would be good.)

Cheers Steve

Can't wait till bassday uk as well I'll be bringing sooooo many cd's to get autographed :D

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    feel free to try and answer this as well Michael :p

3. sorry im not michael, and im sorry that i don't have an answer to your looper question, but to your request for music with loops in it, fripp's soundscrapes vol1,2,3 are all done by a digital looping device and his let the power fall is done with loops. Most of his recordings done with BRIAN ENO are done with looped guitar parts considering eno was the one who founded the tape looper. Most of the soundscrapes can get tiring real fast (sometimes i'll listen to them and think this guys amazing and others ill listend and say its all the same thing.) My advice is to check out fripp and enos collaborations together if your disappointed with how fripp uses his loops you still got a very good cd in your hands.

fripp is coming october 13th wohoo!

Other than maybe michael and steve lawson i don't know too many artists who use loops.

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Other than maybe michael and steve lawson i don't know too many artists who use loops.[/QUOTE]

ah-hmmmm......I do ( and in a pretty wide variety of stuff, too!)

Max

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Aww come on Max give me some better tips than that ;)

Have you your self every used loopers like I mentioned above.

Cheers

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I've used the kind of “static loopers” you describe, TaySte, and in fact that's all I have in the effects box I take with me on the road these days. It is limiting not to have the tap tempo function and to be honest, I can't think of any real advantages. It's a bit of a challenge to have to sync to a preset loop length so that can help you develop your sense of absolute time (which always seems so much longer in live performance than practice!), but aside from that I'd prefer to have the tap tempo.

As far as music that uses the older loopers goes, as I recall, the tap tempo function first appeared around 1994 so you might want to listen to loop-based music that was produced before then. There are folks who are real fans of the sound of some of the old loopers and continue to use them today. One who comes to mind is a guitarist friend of mine named Carl Weingarten. I'm sorry to say I don't recall which old looper he uses, but you might want to check his stuff out for what can be done with the older gear.

7. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    BTW, A few folks have asked about it so I should mention that, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Bass Day UK this year. So sorry!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Cool cheers for the advice, what I've found is I use the Boss dd-20 for the tap tempo stuff and just let the maneco record all of it so I play loops into my final looper which then loops it more so I can start new stuff on the dd-20 and just fade the maneco out, seems to work quite well.

I'm not doing any performance stuff at the moment anyway so I'm ok on that front when I do I think I'll be investing in a digitech jamman.

Thanks for the advice Michael

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The only looper that I ever had that used a set length was a tape loop looper than I made from a reel to reel deck. The loop length in seconds was the tape length divided by the tape speed. So, for clarity, a 30 inch loop would give you two sceonds at 15 ips. The only reliable method that I ever had for timing was to start with a single tap and then subdivide from there. It would take a few pases of playing nothing and just listening to the single tap in order match a tempo. After a while of using the same tape length it got easier.

I hope that helps.

10. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve,

The DD-20 seems to be about the best of the delay-based loopers around (if it does tap tempo as well, that's great!) - the only advantage I can see to a looper where you don't set the time yourself is if you're looking for a random unpredictable element in your music, that you want to react to the irregularities in the timing. I've got one patch on the MPX-G2 that is a 10 second delay with each repeat coming back an octave higher, and use it to get a dreamy slightly confused effect, given that the layers aren't in sync with themselves or any of the other loop boxes...

steve
    www.stevelawson.net