1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Static noise from 92 Ibanez SR 800.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TUEP, Nov 24, 2017.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I noticed while jamming the other night that I hear bits of on and off static with my Ibanez SR 800. Same amp with a Spector and it was clean. Could it be the input jack? Or preamp?

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    change the battery?

TUEP, TolerancEJ and Doctor J like this.
  3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Yeah, rule #1 - new battery.

TUEP and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. I’m with the others. Swap the battery before working up a concern.

Also, it’s great to see another early 90s Ibanez still being used. I’ve owned my SR885 for 25 years. It still plays and sounds great.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Bassist Jay, TUEP and Doctor J like this.
  5. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Even if the output jack were not the issue, as preventive maintenance, it shoud be cleaned periodically.

Ultra-fine (600-1000 grit) sandpaper, tear a narrow sheet about 2" or 3" X 6" and roll tightly, grit side out. Insert and twist around inside the jack a few times. Cleans any oxidation that can create an bad connection.

6. I'd just spray some De-Oxit on the plug & ream it in & out of the jack a few times before I'd shove sandpaper up there.

7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I was going to say the same thing. Swap out the battery. Also check all the wiring while the bass is plugged in to make sure you’re not developing a short in one of them. Check the 9 volt connection too.

You can also add me to the list of someone who still owns and plays a 90’s Ibanez Soundgear bass. I have a 94’ and a 95’ SR 500. Both were bought new by me and were my main players up until around 2010. I still play them but have semi retired them. They have definitely withstood the test of time though from touring to studio work to countless live shows. They’ve been played in Desert heat in excess of 100 degrees to Colorado winters of well below freezing and they have always performed well and have never failed.

I love seeing fellow bass players with Soundgear basses from that era.

I just saw another SR 500 in transparent teal green from the early to mid 90’s become available at Guitar Center. They are asking $300.00 for it and it looks in pretty clean shape.

TolerancEJ likes this.