Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Static Shock Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bplayerofdoom, Aug 6, 2002.


  1. bplayerofdoom

    bplayerofdoom

    Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    Every once in a long while i get a small static shock when played. Is this somethings not grounded properly and can it be harmful with a greater watt amp or such.
     
  2. Erm try checking the wire to your bridge is soldered properly. Dont wear silk boxer shorts and walk around in socks either. lol

    :D:D

    Merls
     
  3. Blackbird

    Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think you should take your bass to a repairperson and have that problem fixed - stat. This could be dangerous.

    I'm moving this to Setup.
     
  4. PeaveyTNT

    PeaveyTNT Banned

    Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    i think we should wait and see if he gets fried:D
     
  5. Your house probably runs off of a 120 volt power system, and its rare, but not altogether unheard of, that a shock from an electrical outlet can be fatal.

    Make sure you have your bass properly grounded, and I suggest running your amp through a power strip with a circuit breaker.
     
  6. pkr2

    pkr2

    Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Well, so far the poster has been given the following advice: 1-Check the bridge ground 2-Fatalities are rare from 120 volt A.C. receptacle shocks 3-Take it to a repair person since static shocks could be dangerous. 4- Leave it alone to see if he'll fry.

    The last time I offered advice in Set-Up I was informed that my advice was pure B.S. so this time I have no advice to offer.(if my advice were correct, the poster has NO way to know that it's correct).

    I will offer this observation from the point of someone who has been a member since TB started. Set-Up has became totally useless because of conflicting, innacurate info from people who often do not have a clue to what they are talking about.

    By the way, I would be interested in knowing what a repair person is going to do to an amp to elimenate STATIC shock. Maybe ground the bridge? Maybe run it through a power strip with a C.B.?

    Good luck, bplayerofdoom. Check your P.M.

    Pkr2
     
  7. Everything ok Pkr2??? wanna talk about it? send me a PM or email.

    Merls
     
  8. Did you defeat the ground prong in any way? Are your outlets grounded?
     
  9. sandman_96

    sandman_96

    Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    I have had a problem with what I assume was static electricity before. I was sitting on the floor playing, and when I went to sit my bass down I would hear some loud pops coming from my amp. It seemed to happen when the headstock got close to the ground. I never actually sit the bass on the ground for fear of hurting my amp. This has happened on more than one occasion. Anyone have an idea of what this really was?
     
  10. Proper grounding, good

    Shock, bad

    How could getting shocked possibly ever be good?
     
  11. nivagues

    nivagues

    Jan 18, 2002
    Warning, Warning, Warning Wil Robinson! (or is it Danger, Danger, Danger?)

    bp,

    How do you know it's static???

    DITTO what Big Wheel said.

    120 volt AC can zapp you permanently! A circuit breaker may work after you've been zapped. A core ballance relay will only work ahead of the transformer in your amp and not after. Also, it's current, as opposed to voltage, that is the killer.

    Cheers.
     
  12. Yup....about 0.5 A AC can cause serious continuing body functioning problems. Plus the body operates on a 50-60Hz cycle. Which is about the same as AC. So that's not good.

    That being said...I've tasted 120, 208, 240 and 440 VAC accidentally. Really got me over my fear of electricity. But I am not doing it again.

    Plus I watched a guy get hit w/ a 500+VAC motor starter (Cap). He's okay now. But he was a very quiet guy for a while. Not cool.
     
  13. Yeah i've been hit before. It must be a training requirement in electronics heehee. Hmm steer clear of reservoir caps in televisions... ahh 300V's certainly makes the hair tingle.

    :D:D

    Merls
     
  14. nivagues

    nivagues

    Jan 18, 2002
    Hey Merls & T/N,
    How's this for stupid!!!!
    I was working on an amp on day. New tubes etc. Had the back off, admiring the job. Tubes all lit up. Wonderful sight to behold in semi darkness. Had the flu. Blowing my nose all day. Decided to give the tubes one last polish with wet hankerchief..............*#!++$%5^6***......Sheeze.
    Cheers.
     
  15. I stuck my hand in a VCR when I was little. It bit me.:p
     
  16. well that made my day... i know i shouldn't laugh but c'mon! *acchoooo!*

    :D:D

    Merls
     
  17. slick519

    slick519

    Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hmm, i enjoy a little bit of a shock now and again. nothing too big, but stuff like grabbing electric fence, sticking paperclip in socket. I dunno, im just weird, but i got to be careful.... i just heared that weirdness is the No. 1 cause of death among bassist :eek: :eek:

    :D :D
    =w=slicks=w=
     
  18. Oh great you predicting genocide of TB now huh?

    :D:D

    Merls