Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Static: So I took apart my squier

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raycer, Jan 6, 2005.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    in hopes of finding out what causes static in it, especially with the tone knob set higher than 10% or so. I had mentioned here, that the static/krackling goes away quite a bit if I touch the bridge/knocs, input jack, etc... and one of you guys said it sounded like a ground problem and to look for a loose ground.

Well, I removed the pickguard and this is what it looks like. Nothing seemed loose but what is the point of the thin bare wire that is soldered to all 3 parts (volume, tone, jack)? Is that to help with ground? seems a bit flimsy to me. Would a thicker wire their or any place else help with the static.

I know it's just a Squier to most, but other than the static problem, it's been a good bass to me, and now that it isn't my primary bass to learn on (have a Dean Edge 5), I finally have a chance to work on it :)

Attached Files:

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You probably just have a defective tone pot. New CTS (good quality) 250K pots are $4.50 each. Have a tech replace your pots and wiring- should be about $20 or so.

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Cool. Thanks :)

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I was just going over a buddy's squire with the same problem, also came to the conclusion that replacing the pots/jack was best. Problem is the stock pots are quite small and the cavity doesn't have enough room for standard size. I could probably have pulled out my Dremel and made enough room for them, with the damage being covered by the pickgaurd. That was a bit too much effort for this g**tar player's pos squire, but if you change out the electronics in yours be aware of the possibility that some routing may be involved (unless somebody makes some good quality 'lil pots).

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    ... and while you're at it, if the bass sets up and feels good for you, it may be worth swapping the pu (I got a used SD antiquity for $30, so not a major expense).

6. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    thanks for the tip permagrin

7. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I have a squier and i had the same prob except with volume. faulty pot, and now its fine. cost me 35 bucks i think, with maintenance

8. You guys are right on target. It's sort of been the standard procedure for the overseas Fenders, to replace the pots in them. Usually you'll not only experience a decrease in trouble like the ground problem, but it will likely sound better too. Seems the cheap pots have a bit more signal loss than good ones.