Statics Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Oct 5, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hey all,
    I just started taking Statics in HS, but its a decently tough class. Im really having trouble with the whole i,j,k notation and why its different from the x,y,z plane. Some theoretical help here?
    I know there are a lot of engineer type ppl here.. so dont be shy.
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    i, j, and k are unit vectors. basically, i is a vector one unit long in the x direction, or <1,0,0> Similarily, j is in the y direction <0,1,0> and k in the z, <0,0,1>. x,y, and z are axes. i,j, and k don't have any location, intrinsically, they just denote a direction. So 30i + 2j - 6k describes a vector that moves 30 units positive on the x axis, 2 units positive on the y axis, and 6 units negative on the z axis. It does not, however, tell you where the vector starts. That make it any clearer?
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    statics in high school? weird.

anyway, don't hesitate to use

imagine talkbass, but with people who know as much about physics as the people here know about music and equipment.

not as fun, but oh well. if you take the time to learn the LaTeX coding (more or less the same as the html here, only more extensive) and follow the posting rules, people will be glad to help.

i usually get help within an hour or two (mainly because i ask questions people like to answer! :D ). and i help out a lot. my user name is the same as is here.