"Statue" Syndrome on stage/practice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Insomnia_Junkie, Dec 31, 2007.

1. I've been trying to overcome this for years but I can't run around the stage or much less headbang without totally playing like sh** So I usually end up just standing there or walking around like an idiot who's been playing for only a month, even on hard rock songs. I don't know what it is, I can play the songs note for note blindfolded but I can't manage to even move without sounding like a 12 year old trying to learn smoke on the water. The worse part is I can sense that the audience is absorbing my bad vibes and not enjoying the show. Any suggestions? I'm afraid my band is gonna kick me soon. :crying:

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    head bang as a form of keeping time to start with. then when it becomes natural way of counting to you the body will follow.

3. Even the guys with great stage presence who fly around the stage and crawl on the floor is their way of moving to the rhythm(counting?)

4. Do Hip-Gyrations qualify for counting time? :p

5. I used to have this problem too. I really had to work on it...and it starting by practicing it by myself. I must have looked like an idiot in a room by myself rocking out...but it paid off. Try to move with the music, the rhythm etc. Then try some moves out at band practice...and finally at a performance.

6. I have this "problem" too. Although I've gone back and forth on whether or not it's indeed a problem.

*subscribed.

7. 5andFretless

5andFretless Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Long Island Ny
    I move, dance, bang hips with the singer, etc all the time. I am not sure when I started doing it or how I got there, but I know that it was around the same time I started being able to play and sing at the same time, and that took a lot of work on my part.

8. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Man I won't be surprised if at least half the people on here have this........issue........... my guitarist mentioned he'd like me to not stand still so much. So I started watching other local bass players and hey guess what? They don't move much either! Seems to be either you are a metal jumper or you hang out. And head banging with glasses on ain't gonna happen LOL. Still working on this one myself.
    My problem is I spent too many years in marching band, so I tend to stomp my feet in time when I get into something. Took a bit to train myself to step in time so when I'm not paying attention I revert to foot stomping...
    Another part of the prob. is my group right now tends to play small areas so I *can't* move around much without whacking something. I've learned when the singer stops singing and/or the guitar player goes into a solo I gotta watch out because they both tend to reverse.......yike! I swear I'm gonna stick backup alarms on em!

I asked my teacher about this..... he said, you just gotta get into it. I have found that on songs I really like I can avoid the "statue" thing because I just... like em and can get into em. But there are songs that are just......boring....and I'd look silly bouncing around :).

9. for some reason this ^^^^ reminded me of when i was watching that VH1 reality show Supergroup and they were practicing and Sebastian Bach was going nuts and everyone else was just standing there playing looking at him going....what the **** is he doing?

10. For sure the best thing to do is play songs you like and really feel them. That feeling alone wont keep you at the same place not for even 1 second.

Try to work out better your hammering so you wont hit the wrong notes on the fingerboard, that way even missing a string or two with your right hand you aint gonna get out of the groove/rhythm.

Plus check out your bass hight, if its too low then maybe its time to get it a bit more up close to your belly or something.

And dont forget that even the best players/soloist dont run or headbang all the time, so why you should?

11. Watch some live Who videos with John Entwistle

Be happy with who you are

12. I realize that but at the same time I wanna give the audiance what they paid for, a show. If I wanted to stand still or not move while I am playing I'd play at a cafe. I just want to have a "little" stage presence, so people actually look at the bass player during a show.

13. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    Are you playing originals or covers? If covers put the songs on and play along with them while head banging or doing whatever you do. If it's originals all I can say is practice while your band is practicing. Only way to get better is to practice.

14. dcallred

dcallred

Jul 10, 2005
    Stamford, CT
    Laugh while you can monkey boy
    If you can't dance, join a band. :)

Actually I'm one of "them" who has to dance around while I'm playing. I figure if I can't dance to it, no one else can. I do stop moving for the really intricate parts, but mostly I dance to keep time instead of tapping my foot. Of course when I'm playing off beat stuff people probably think I'm spastic.

Don't try to think about dancing while you are playing, just play and move with what comes natural. If I had to learn dance steps to a song I probably couldn't play it. Which is why I don't play country, I can't line dance and play at the same time. Ok, I can't line dance. Maybe I am just spastic.

15. Jazz Hands

Jazz Hands

Dec 16, 2007
    My guitarist/singer says the same thing to me. He's oblivious to the style of band we are .. .. we're very dark rock kinda Alice in Chains yet he's always telling me I need to run around & "DO SOME TRICKS." :confused: I also tell him to watch other bassists on stage for once!

Also I've played guitar in bands & I'll be the 1st to admit that for some reason I find it more difficult to move around as much playing bass. :bassist:

16. There's a lot you can do for stage presence even if you don't move around much. You can dress up, you can make silly faces or smile like a psychotic maniac from time to time, you can make casual eye contact with random people in the crowd, you can wander around slowly and randomly (get a super long cable and wander into the crowd and make conversational expressions with some of the people...) You just have to make due with what you got and create your own stage persona that takes advantage of your assets, whatever they may be. I am also afflicted with statue syndrome, and 95% of the time I am staring at my fretboard. But people still tell me they find me entertaining to watch.

17. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    " you can make casual eye contact with random people in the crowd"
    LOL and hope that they a) don't think you're hitting on them or b) don't think you're hitting on their boyfriend! (I am female....)

"95% of the time I am staring at my fretboard"
    Ah yes, I found out that I tend to do that only when I saw pictures taken of me playing. Fun part is, I don't need to look at the fretboard most of the time but it's a convient place to look I guess. Half the time I can't even see the silly thing anyway! :p Glow in the dark fretmarkers come in handy LOLBeen trying to train myself to not do that-glance down if needed and then look somewhere else (preferably not at the TV....). Perhaps this is step one to overcoming statue syndrome...people who are moving around aren't looking at their fretboards...

Wandering into the crowd? Think I'd want a wireless if I were to do that for fear I'd trip somebody and they'd pull my cable...:bawl:

I do enjoy laughing at my guitar player as he's totally getting into it... because he gets into everything he's doing, even stuff that is........boring..... and I find it funny :)

18. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I used to not move around much(maybe kind of hunch down and head bang a little) but now I move around the stage a little, bang my head so hard that my neck hurts for three days after a show, actually look at the crowd once in a while and interact with the singer rather than him just screaming at the top of my head. I just had to relax. If you rock out at practice and goof around doing hair metal and punk rock moves(we do this all the time as well as pick harmonic and bend wars) it makes being active on stage a lot more natural. I'm not saying get drunk but maybe a drink or two would help you relax a little.

19. I agree with the ones above, even if you feel like a t**t practice in your room just on your own and at practice as well.
    Couple off beers never hurt then

20. Stage presence is a tricky thing.

If you don't move enough, you're boring.

If you move too much, you look like a doof.

I find it more difficult to move playing bass than I do while playing guitar.

It's not just movement, it's even the illusion of movement- which you can do by changing your stance and not looking at your fretboard.

Call it poseur, call it narcissistic, but try practicing in front of a mirror.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021