Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

status bass anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_major_Rajor, Aug 14, 2004.

1. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    Hi, I've come across an oppurtunity to purchase a headless status bass, but I am intersted in hearing some sound clips if anyone has any. I know mark king uses them and I have heard his sound with them. I like that type of sound especially for slap, but I am curious as to the other types of sounds the bass can get.
    thanks

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Question is <i>which</i> Status? Even though most have at least a carbon bolt on neck, and therefore a lot of wood too, some have a carbon neck through, or like my S2000 a carbon monocoque and so there are a great variety of tones available depending on which model. Add to that the different pickups and preamps over the years, and it's going to be hard to nail down a Status tone or sound.

With some judicious use of the onboard tone controls, and those on my preamp, I can get a huge range of sounds out of mine depending on how I play it. It's nearly impossible to get that vintage low-rez thunk exactly, but close enough a lot of the time, especially on stage.

3. I would only invest in the S2 classis (previously known as the Empathy model.) I had a Mark King recently, and there was a change in the preamp (bass and treble centers) on that new signature model. I was not as impressed as with my 2 Empathy's. I sold the MK rather quickly.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You can purchase any model with any preamp. I'm quite sure Rob Green would be happy to oblige.

5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I have a wooden necked status, and I'm able to reproduce a wide variety of styles. You can get some very thick tones, but also clearer tones that you can use for chords and more melodic approaches. The jazz growl isn't really there, though.

The bass you're thinking of getting probably has a graphite neck, which makes it more flexible than a wooden neck. Good luck on making your decision, make sure you play it before you buy it.

6. for some examples of a Status graphite neck bass in band situations check out tracks by Therapy eg. "Trigger inside", "Isolation", "Turn" (Michael McKeegan used an Empathy and an early Energy)
    Senseless Things and Vent 414 (Morgan Nicholls used an Empathy)

also Huge Baby- their bassist used a Series 2000 all-graphite headless.