Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Bass - opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyansDad, Feb 23, 2006.

1. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    A friend of mine has a Status bass with the carbon fiber neck. He loves this thing and it seems pretty cool. I was just curious if it really is "all that" or not?

Anyone have experience with these?

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    If they good as expensive they should be really great. But to high-tech for me.

3. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    It did seem high-tech (the visible carbon-fiber inlay probably had a lot to do with that). He was able to do harmonics all over the neck, ostensibly due to the outstanding rigidity of the neck. I don't know if that is the real reason, or if it is simply due to his ability (he is one of the best bass players I have ever met).

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They are generally very well-made basses - but they have made a wide range from 'high-end' down to budget - in England I have been able to try dozens of different Status models.

Some of them are up there with the best boutique basses - others are built to a budget...?

5. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    I got a used Status Energy Bass last year. I love the sound of it, really punchy!! The Carbon Fibre neck is awesome - you can get crazy harmonics all over the neck on mine. It was a good find - it's about 15+ years old and bit beat up in places but the neck is rock solid! I use it mainly for slap as it just sounds so good!! Not as versitile as other basses, i don't often use it for a whole gig, just for the funky tunes!

6. Bruce Lindfield

The Energy basses were pretty good - played very nicely, built well - I just didn't like the sound/tone - too "sterile" and lacking warmth for me...

As you say - good for slap - but not for Jazz or other styles...?

I tried an Energy Artist in the Bass Centre that looked really nice!

7. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    Mine plays very nicely and has stood the test of time well as it had obviously been played a hell of a lot as it has some wear an tear on the finish (where the thumb rested etc) but still plays well and sounds good. Keep meaning to replace a crackling pot but haven't got round to it yet.

As Bruce said, it's not an all rounder bass. You couldn't use a Status for a load of different styles but if your into slap (think Mark King) and funk styles it's a good one!

8. Bruce Lindfield

These are nice-looking ones :

[​IMG]

9. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    I love the Status shape! I can't stand head-less basses though which is quite a large proportion of Status Basses.

The other thing about them i'm not a fan of are the one piece all graphite basses they do (Stealth Bass?). They don't look as good as the wood bodies and something about no wood at all puts me off. Anyone ever tried one of the all graphite basses?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Actually I just realise it was an "Empathy" bass that I tried at the Bass Centre - not Energy!! Doh!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I have a Stealth and an S2, both 5 string headless, both less than 6 months old. They are two of the best basses I've ever owned (and I've owned most of the boutique basses out there). Keep in mind that I prefer that piano-like, ultra clear tone from which I can let my fingers to the sound shaping.

12. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    I remember trying a Status years ago at the Bass Centre when i'd only been playing a year or so. It was the only one they had, it felt great. Might well have been the same one.

Think that was the start of my Status GAS and slowly built up until i cracked and bought one last year.

13. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a fretless Status hollowbody that is just incredible. It really sings. I would not hesitate to recommend Status basses to anyone. Rob has wonderful customer service, also.

14. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I bought a Kingbass Standard a couple of years ago and I really like it. It's a bolt-on carbon neck on a mahogany body (which has a beautiful bookmatched rosewood cap) and it has a pretty broad tonal palette. If you like the zingy modern stuff it nails it, however I currently use it with flats, and by cutting the high mids I get a great thump with lots of definition. The overall sound is tight and focused. Excellent construction too - it's one of my favorites.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've played a few.
    Well made, if you dig that sound great bass.
    Strong, punchy, focused, sound.

16. Im one of the lovers of carbon fiber/composite type necks and the status is no exception. Alot of people say they have a "sterile" type sound. Every bass to me has its own signature..i happen to like that signature sound. Ive owned an astronomical amount of basses and i always wind up playing the composite neck basses.

17. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Accurate description of the tonal possibilities. Sure, the KingBass is named after Mark King, who is known for his machine gun style slapping, but it isn't just a slap machine. It's a rather versatile bass. The three band EQ gives you lots of control. I love my KingBass Artist.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I've got two Status Energy basses myself, both with wooden necks (graphite reinforcement, both four string, one tuned BEAD). I do not find them sounding sterile at all; depends to a great extent on how you play them and your amplification.

Here are two examples of how mine sound recorded:

http://www.dubius.nl/mp3/straatmuziek_fragment.mp3

http://www.dubius.nl/mp3/zijisanders_fragment.mp3

19. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I have a s string all graphite Stealth headless. It is the best bass I have ever played, period. If I could only have one bass for the rest of my life it would be this one. I highly recommend Status basses.