status bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allblacks_rock, Jul 20, 2002.

1. how good are status bass guitars. ive got a mate that wants to sell me his but ive never heard of them - would it be a good move?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Have a look over at the Status web site:

Status has made a lot of different basses over the years, including wood and graphite necks, headles and headed designs, bolt-ons and neck-throughs. They're well made, and some are great basses, while some models (the Shark and the Groove Bass, for instance) just never caught on. The current site doesn't show most of the old models, though.

3. Oops, that above posted link was missing a w, try this instead.
    And, to answer your question, yes Status basses are good. Just make sure that it's a British made one. I've heard that there's an Asian company selling cheap, entry level, Fender copies under the Status name, and, from what I've read, they seem to be quite common in New Zeeland and Australia. There's nothing that says that an Asian Status bass might not suit your needs, though, just make sure to try it out before you buy!
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    After various threats of legal action the name was changed from Strat to Status.

I'm working from memory here but the common basses go in this order (i think)

Series 2 carbon fibre thu neck headless with wood wings
    Series 2000 as above but no wood
    Series 3000 bolt on neck wood body J pups
    Series 4000 as above but with plastic body
    There was rumours of a Matrix but the headed basses all started with E Energy (wood neck) Eclipse (carbon neck) and Empathy (very exotic woods. There were headless options on some of these basses. There was also the Electro (geuss what that was).
    Then there were the aforementione Shark and Groove basses that are not typically Status.
    Then things got confused (for me) with various series 1 series whatever.

Status seemed to have gone back to the original designed with S1 S1 and Stealth which are basically tweaked series 2 and 2000 (they got it right first time it seems).

Status have also made replacement Fender /Musicman necks for years.

Status also make some upgraded P and J basses.
  5. Originally posted by CS
    After various threats of legal action the name was changed from Strat to Status.

sorry to nit-pick/split hairs Bruce Lindfield-style but they were originally called Strata.

There was rumours of a Matrix but the headed basses all started with E Energy (wood neck) Eclipse (carbon neck) and Empathy (very exotic woods.

the Energy originally had a bolt-on graphite neck- Michael McKeegan of Therapy was usually seen playing a black headed one of these.(2 J style p/ups)
    also Status Quo's John Edwards has a headless one.

subsequent Energy basses had wood necks with graphite reinforcement.

The Eclipse standard had a wood neck with graphite reinforcement, the Eclipse artist and special edition neck-through had all-graphite necks.
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sorry about the bad link! Does anybody remember the link pointing to the "old site" area of Status, with the older models listed on it?
    I get so confused with all the "E" model names and the different Series, I didn't even want to make a stab at describing them.

I will say that the Status Jonas Hellborg Signature that I have is a great bass, as was the neck-through graphite Empathy I played.

7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    No problem just trying to shed some light on the maze that is GMT/Status. Thanks for the corrections.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hey I resemble that remark! :mad:

Anyway - on Status basses - I have got to play a lot of these over the years and generally the "real" ones are very well made - although I've never been keen on their tone - just personal preference though.

I would be wary though, as I have seen various basses over the years with a Status logo on them which are clearly not good intruments - so I think they have been cheap basses with Status pickups or necks - maybe customised?

These seem to have come up quite frequently in small local shops I have visited. So - we've got this Status bass! Me - that's nothing like a Status!'s got a Status preamp and pickups!
  9. Hey man, show some respect!
    Its New ZEAland, not New Zeeland.
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Dont go sulky on me. You've become a generic term, respect. There was a Washburn Status bass a while back. One of my local dealer is asking £400, somebody pinch him (hard) so he wakes up.

I had a walnut 3000 for 9 years. Wish I didnt sell it. Overwater have one for £450.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - that was one of the ones I'd seen in Brighton and was probably the conversation I was trying to recall - that's not a Status that's a Washburn - yeah but!

I think this made me suspicious when the Groove came out - looked nothing like a Status and was cheap...hmmmm - cashing in a name for quality?
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Or a desperate attempt to make some cash when the original design fell out of favour?
  13. Sorry. I'm from Sweden and in Swedish New Zealand is spelled...oh. Nevermind.
  14. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    I have owned many fine basses, but the most versatile, elegant, and perfectly designed is my Status Electro. I just wish that more people could try this bass in the flesh - the playability destroys all boutique instruments at the same or much higher price points in my opinion. Sounds? All the classics [subtle to angry] are there between the bridge piezo and single humbucker... as well as YOUR sound lurking within a chambered mahogany body. Pure musicality and effortless joy.
  15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    Status importer in my country Indonesia did sale their stock of Status 4,5,6 stings neckthru Empathy model with different wood combination at USD 700 equivalent with hard case.

I bought 4 and 5 strings and finally sold again because I didn't like the tone, it's kind of 'dry'. although workman ship, construction etc is excellent.
    I still prfer Modulus Q over Status .
  16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a Kingbass standard and I love it. Mahogany body with a rosewood cap and a bolt-on graphite neck. This bass kicks major butt. Very easy to play and the electronics are hot. Right now I have flats on it and it sounds warm, fat and punchy and really cuts the mix. High marks for excellent construction and customer support from Rob Green is first rate - he handles it personally. A high quality instrument all around. Mine is exactly like this (pic taken form the website):

17. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a Series 2000 (all graphite, similar to current Stealth) and it's a suberbly built, playing and sounding bass. Tough as nails, holds tune forever and takes single ballend strings too, as do all the Status designs I've used. One of the few instruments I've owned I'd never sell.

I also have a Washburn Status 1000, and whilst it's not as good, is better built than a lot of mid-priced new gear, sounds very good and can be pickup up relatively cheap.

The all wood Status' aren't a 'cash in' but likely an attempt by a fine luthier to sell his wares to a wider market that prefers a more traditionally built instrument. The same workmanship and build quality applies, but theres no carbonfibre in there.

There are cheap copies. If in doubt, email Rob Green at Status with the serial number and ask him.

If you don't want it, put me in contact with your mate....
  18. The next time I am in Montreal, I've GOT to play your Electro! :)

19. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Jay, consider it done!