Status Basses. Worth looking into?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have a chance to get a four string Status bass for around six or seven hundred bucks. Anyone ever play one? It's like those Mark King used to play, except it has a headstock. Opinions, anyone?

Will C.:cool:
  2. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I have a Status energy 4-string. It's their most cheap bass, with a neck partially made of wood, and active electronics.
    Although I don't know about the model, the price seems fine.

- It's the best balanced bass that I've had.
    - It's comfortable, and has a good tone with nice fundamentals, and even response across the neck.
    - It's superbly constructed. Some people say they don't tune for months.
    - No string breaks, had the same strings on it for thirteen thing.

- Miscommunication: I always have fights with this bass, and it doesn't communicate well with my Ampeg B100r, it works better with modern amps. My Ibanez is more easy going, but that one is falling apart.
  3. Definitely!

Is the bass you are after in a red colour?!

Status basses are perhaps one of the best sounding, best playing and certainly best engineered basses on the planet (I currently have five of them, including one which actually belonged to Mark King). Once you get familiar with them, they are awesome - graphite can take a little bit of getting used to but its like buying a sports car after spending years tottering around on an old pedal cycle!

You can come and join the Status club at Yahoo - check it out at:

The club is officially endorsed (and advertised) by Status themselves and Rob Green (director and owner of the company) visits the club and posts details of any interesting developments they have!

You can also check out their website:

Best Wishes!

Nick Smith
  4. I have a Status all graphite headless. It’s quite an early model serial no. 130, and I’m not sure if it’s a series 2 or series 2000 as Status didn’t identify their basses in those days. (Think it's a 2000)

It’s a very comfortable and usable instrument with lots of tones, also it’s switchable to passive or
    active ( 18 volts). Fairly heavy for it’s size but well balanced. Never goes out of tune.

One of our new members Doctor Bass (Nick Smith) runs the Status club from the UK and it might be worth you logging on over there. He will probably post here if he finds this thread.
    Here’s the link.
  5. Allo Spike (Mike!)

Your bass is definitely a Series 2000! And in quite a rare colour - I will have to ask Rob how many ice blue ones they did (Mark King had one in exactly that colour!)

6. Nick,
    I thought you would post a reply for Big Wheel, but thought you might have a killer hang over from your birthday celebrations. :) Hope it went well.
    We both posted at almost the same time, but you beat me by 2 minutes. :D

Thanks for confirming my Status is a 2000 series. Always been a bit confused by this as it the guy I got it from said it was a series 2.

Would you please also ask Rob when it was made when you talk to him? (No. 130)

Spike. (Mike)
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay guys...

Here's a question for you...I've never played a Status, but I used to own a Modulus Quantum. I had that bass for about 1-1/2 years before dumping it in favor of my Spector. I found that the Modulus sounded very plastic and couldn't get used to it.

How does the Status compare with Modulus? If I played a Status, would I have the same problem that I had with the Modulus? Or, would it be more like a Zon, which many people around here claim is very warm sounding, unlike the Modulus? (Brad Johnson and I once had that discussion, but let's not relive that one, shall we???;))

8. Hallo!

The Modulus basses are a very different breed to the Status and I personally have never played a Modulus that has made me want to buy it (they do sound too `rattlely' in my opinion, and as mentioned, `plasticky'!) They are however very well made basses though. I owned a MusicMan Cutlass (these had a factory-fitted Modulus neck) and again, this was a very rattlely bass!

As far as I can tell, the Modulus necks are actually hollow (I think they have air pockets inside etc), hence the reason for this `rattlely' sound/feel. The Status neck is different and the comparison with the Zon is not quite correct in that the Status basses sound even warmer than the Zons (I know, I nearly bought two Zon's once and tried one of them on a gig to find it was nowhere near the Status in terms of tone/warmth). Again, its a personal thing, and again, the Zon's construction was excellent!

So, what it really all boils down to is personal preference - audition the basses with your own bass rig, preferably at a gig or rehearsal (I know this is not always easy!) and see how they perform. I remember trying the Zons in the shop and thinking `wow' but once at a gig, the bass did not `fit' me as a player in a couple of ways and thus I did not buy it!

9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Doc -

I believe the neck on my Modulus WAS hollow. It left the body significantly heavier than the neck, which is not as bad as the neck being too heavy! Anyway, I've been curious about Status basses for a while, but they're simply nowhere to be found anywhere near Chicago, at least that I know of. And, I'm not the type to order a bass to try it over the internet. If I don't like it, I'm not really excited about the prospect of having to send it back, especially at my cost. Shipping can be a big ol' headache. So, that's why I'm asking so many questions.

If I did express interest in a Status bass, it might be the Stealth-4 (all graphite), maybe one of the others...I don't know.

How would you describe the tone? Is it comparable in anyway to something more familiar?

How about the feel? What's the neck like? Chunky? Thin? Wide-fretboard or narrow? Round-back neck or fairly flat? Is the body shape large, relative to, say, a Fender Precision? What do they weigh?

And, what do they cost in US Dollars?
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Was that me?:D

It all depends how much zing you like in your sound. The composite necked Stati I've played sounded fine, but that was several years ago and I'll be the first to admit that my tastes have changed since then. I've been routinely underwhelmed by Moduli, I'm sure the problem is with me, not their basses... I just don't like them in general. Must be graphite envy.

I know I'm like a broken record but...strings can make or break a bass, especially composites. I've really grown to dislike the sound of SS on composites but I've heard people who get nice tone with them. I like Nickel rounds and that's all I use.
  11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    It's especially hard for me, as my "rig" is in California (where I live) and I'm currently vacationing in Germany. Thanks for the tip, though. Keep 'em coming!

Will C::cool:
  12. Allo!

In response to RAM - here are some useful Status links:

6a, Commerce Way, Colchester, Essex, CO2 8HR. England.

Telephone : +44 (0)1206 868150
    Fax : +44 (0)1206 868160
    e-mail :

Contacts: Rob or Dawn

Yahoo Club (which I set up - there are a number of US based Status players/collectors who might be able to help you get access to a Status!!!)

Hope this helps!

13. """It's especially hard for me, as my "rig" is in California (where I live) and I'm currently vacationing in Germany. Thanks for the tip, though. Keep 'em coming!

Will C:""

Might be a bit tricky then!

14. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    If you speak just a little German, you should check out the German should find cheap Status-basses there, since it's (rather "it has been") a popular brand in Germany.
    About the neck...the neck on my bass is very flat, almost classical guitar-like and took time to get used to. The big frets took me time too (after being used to a terrible Warwick with no low end at all), because they were difficult to slide through, and you have to press the string down in the middle of the two frets...playing my previous bass, I almost fretted the notes right on the fret. Has something to do with that zero-fret.

15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Niels. Ich kann tatsächlich deutsch schprechen.

Leider kann ich nicht das Deutsche eBay benützen weil ich geh nack Amerika zurück in zwei woche, und es würdet zuviel arbeit sein, eine kontrabass mir zu Amerika shicken.

War das einfach zu verstehen? Ich weiß viele worte aber manchmal benütze ich den in eine falsche form.

16. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Big Wheel,

Ich kann dich ganz gut verstehen!

Und jetzt bist du an die Reihe:
    Ik wist eigenlijk niet dat je Duits kon spreken, en daarom had ik mijn vorige toevoeging wat voorzichtig gestyleerd.

Ich hab vier jahren Deutsch in die Schule gelernt, aber durch die swierigen fälle hab ich andere sachen studiert.

Whoops, it was worse than I thought.

P.s. Es ist "schicken", nicht "shicken". Chicken.
  17. oh no they are speaking in alien tongue! the world is doomed! quick, call the ghostbusters before the aliens invade!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh ::runs frantically::

yeah i know, REALLY lame joke. but im bored :p
  18. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Das war eine Typo:D (wirklich)

P.S. Man schreibt nicht "swierigen", aber "Schwierigen":D:D

Turnaround ist fair play. :D:D:D

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would agree that Status are very well made and I have been tempted on several occasions to buy one - tried a lot of them in the Bass Centre in London. I love the way they play - the necks are great - but they can't quite get the sound I like. I prefer basses with as much maple in as possible, I've found. I liked the Eclipse and Energy "Artist" basses and nearly bought a 6-string.

I have been tempted because they are such good value compared with any US-made basses you can find in the UK. There have been some exceptions though - there is a budget bass, which even made it's way to Brighton and which I thought looked very cheap and nasty - like a cardboard cut-out of a real bass. ;) I'm referring to the "Groove" - which to me is nothing like a real Status and which has none of the characteristics of the main ranges.

Have you tried the Stealth - I tried the 6-string in London - amazing looking bass and huge neck, but it played really well, just a bit too sterile for me - like a Modulus but more so!
  20. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks!!! :D:D

I just got an e-mail from Rob Green telling me that DR Strings will be distributing in the US. Very excited to try one out as soon as they're in my area! :D

But, the comment about the Stealth sounding more sterile than the Modulus...that scares me a little. But, there's only one way to find out, right? ;)