Status basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squice, Jul 4, 2001.

1. I own at the moment, Status graphite 4000 bass.
    i was wondering if anyone have had a bass like that and had any comment about it..

I´ve been trying to slap on it. i i find it almost unslappable. i just get a crappy sound. and it just not nice to slap on..

is this just a crappy bass to slap on or am i doing something wrong??
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I had a Status 3000 which is the same except it has a wooden body. I traded it after 9 yrs for a Warwick but thats another story. I actually played one of the first 4000's at the factory whilst getting some warranty work. I liked it.

My 3000 had a sweet slap tone even with the iffy amplification (I used then). The pu/electric system is two active J pickups with a preset 20db (I think) boost on the low and high frequencies. The ahem 'treble' pot is actually a passive tone control and simply removes some of the preset boost from the sytem. The 'flat' point is where they (GMT) think it should be.

Try running the amp vol at halfway and the eq flat.
    Try running the bass volume backed off about 5 clicks an the pan and tone on the centre clicks.

I found that the 18v system was bery powerful and distorted a lot of amps. It worked very well with my Harke 1415 (which I still use)

The only thing I can think of is that the batteries are low. try replacing them, doing what I said then if you are still unhappy then get it looked at. If you are in UK then Status are in Essex somewhere. They have a website but I forgot it.

HOpe this lot helps and please post again with stories of joy/woe whatever THere should be someone here who can help.

I cannot remember who but I think that Spike or Arfer Daily have a 4000, if they dont appear on this thread then PM both of them and ask, they are both decent blokes so go for it.
  3. Squice,

I have an 80’s Status Series 2 headless, a slightly different animal from your 4000, which I have never played.

Why not join the Status Graphite club? Great forum with lots of pics and discussions.

The guy who runs it (Nick) knows just about everything there is to know about Status’s and is also a very helpful and nice guy. (& one of the best slap players I've ever heard)

Here’s the link, may see you over there.

Spike. (Mike)

CS, BTW, thanks for the compliment :D
  4. Thanks alot for the answer. i will try it out tonight.

the status graphite 4000 bass is very playable. its very easy and nice playing on the graphic neck.

the amp that i´m using is Trace Elliot 1210H 300w combo, with 4x10" + horn, 12 band Eq, compressor and two presets.

i´m usually running the amp vol at halfway.
    but the Eq is set, little up with bass and treb and the middle little down. in a smooth line. and i normally use one of the presets. becourse if i don´t use the preset. i´m just getting very guitar/treble sound. and i really like the sound to be, heavy ritch smooth bass, with funky crispy treb,

the bass is usually set, tone/pan on centre clicks. and the vol slightly over middle.

i´m using GHS strings.. that i´m not really happy with. i was using some cheaper strings before that had much better funky sound that lasted longer. but i don´t remeber the name..

i think that i have to change strings and a battery to..

i live in iceland so i´m not in the situation visiting the status company..

5. CS

Dec 11, 1999

Whoops I thought you had a 4000, anyway I had forgotten about Nick's Club and you are welcome.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999

I sometimes borrowed a Trace combo and had trouble eq'ing it for the 3000 (assuming the electrics are the same) I would take out the presets and try fiddling with the graphic.

BTW I had good results with Elite strings but I dont know if they are available in Iceland.
  7. If i don´t have one of the presets on. i just have very treble kinda sound.

not the rich heavy smooth bass sound with funky crispy treb. that i´m looking for.

could that be becourse the batt is low???

i find that the trace combo is very hard treb kinda sound.. should think about getting a new amp.. then not combo, head+speaker?

can anyone give a review one how the status Graphite 4000 basses are. All stats. the ups and downs.. High end/low end or somewhere in the middle..
  8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Velkominn á Talkbass Squice!

Við erum nokkrir Íslendingar hér sem stundum Talkbass. Ég, The_Bass, phreaky og einarkm.

Þetta er mjög góður staður til að leita sér að upplýsingum.

Ef þú hefur einhverjar spurningar, sendur þá bara pm

Have fun ;-)
  9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Trace Elliot amps have a generic sound to them ie they sound like a TE no matter what you play through them. Some like this others dont. I always had to fiddle a lot with the graphic to get a 'good' sound.

Try setting it flat (without the presets) then if it is too trebly as you stated then gradually boost some of the lower frequencies. The reason I say dont use the presets is that I believe the Status has a similar preset built into the bass and that MAY be the problem.

I wont advise you to change your bass or amp because 1 its your wallet and 2 they are both well made pieces of equipment.

Keep trying and if you get a good sound write it down.

All the above is opinion please try the link that Spike recommended as well.Hope you get your sound sorted.
  10. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Hi mate, I'm another of the Status club chaps and thought that if your looking for a decent bass end sound too why not add a 1x15 if you can? On most Trace that I have had I just used the mid scoop preset and found that ok.
  11. in the beginning. when i bought the trace. i bought the 1210H 300w combo + 300w 1x15 speaker..
    but i sold it when i got the status bass.. but anyway i didn´t feel like the 1x15 was making that much difference..

i went on a practise last night.. and changed batteries in my status..they where completely dead.. so after i put the new ones in. my life changed...

but anyway, i just don´t think that i´m liking very much the TE sound.