Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Buzzard Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RIZ, Jul 3, 2000.

1. Any TB'ers out there have or know of anyone that has one of these fine Basses?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Errr....John Entwistle and that's it!

3. Obviously.

If you go to the status website, the Buzzard is available, or so one is led to believe.

I thought maybe one of the "high-enders" out there might have put the money down...

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The original Buzzard is too much for most players I think, but the less-severe Buzard II is quite appealing, I have to admit. (Still too expensive though!)

David

5. David,

What does "THE" Buzzard go for over in the U.K.?

I must admit I think it is the most awesome shape, and most wicked sounding in the OX's hands.

I wonder if there is one hanging on a wall in some high end Bass-only mucis shop.

6. Bruce Lindfield

The Buzzard goes for £4000 in the UK - probably double that for $s. The Buzzard II is £1299. The Bass Centre in the UK is the biggest bass-only stockist, but they don't keep them in stock and have to order them from Status.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There was recently one on E-bay, though it was only there for about 3 days. It was priced at $8,000 (American).

I know that Entwistle is not the only one to have this bass. A few years ago, when Entwistle approached Status about making the bass that was formerly made by Warwick, I was selling guitars and amps in suburban Chicago. While doing that, I talked to a Trace-Elliot rep who told me that there were 3 in the US.

I've heard that Status only made 10 of these so far, and Entwistle told me (YES-HIMSELF) that it's an incredibly arduous task to make these things...apparently for every one made, three are destroyed during the manufacturing process.

They do appear to be really awesome basses, but I don't know that I'd be comfortable spending $8,000 for a bass at this point, especially since if I played it, I'd either be known as an Entwistle groupie or that I play a ridiculously weird bass! But, I do think it's really cool!

The difference between his actual bass and the Buzzard II is that the body on the latter is wood and only has 2 band EQ instead of the semi-parametric on the actual Buzzard. Plus, the LED's on the side of the neck only appear on the Buzzard.

8. RAM,
    Should be no big deal $$ wise for ya, I mean you do own a USA made Spector right? [​IMG]

anyway, I wonder who bought the one off EBAY.
    I just think that Buzzard is the most wicked thing out there, regardless of what it costs(IMHO only)
    I went to the status site and turned that axe into the wallpaper on my PC at work....so now I drool over it while getting paid a ridiculous salary...probably the closest I'll ever get to owning one...

On another note does anyone remember the lighting bolt shaped Alembic bass Entwistle played in the mid-70's ? That Bass was my ultimate bass until I saw his new Buzzard...

Did I tell you I like spiders too? [​IMG]

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Riz...I happen to like my Spector! Yes, it's American made, and I'm sorry if you're just a tad bit jealous. I'm tired of spending endless sums of money on gear. I just spent tons of bucks to get my EBS Fafner and 4x10 connected by a ridiculously expensive Tara Labs cable. I have this American Spector that cost me way too much. I have two tuners, the most recently purchased of which is the Korg DTR-1...Total overkill.

And, because I'm in grad school when I'm not at work, my gear barely sees the light of day! I am in a band, but I only get together with them 1-2 times per month. So, I'm not too sure I'm going to buy that Buzzard quite yet.

Plus, in 10 years when I can finally afford it, Entwistle will have put together a better concoction...with better tone AND HEARING AIDS built directly into the damn thing!!!

Anyway, I've seen pictures of the lightning bolt bass that he used. I don't think it was Alembic, though. I don't know who made it, but I do know that prior to switching to Alembics, he used the Gibson Thunderbird and Fender Precisions quite a bit.

Oh...and I have a "Boris" pin affixed to my guitar strap and I also have the Buzzard as wallpaper on my computer...at home. At work, I have the American series Spector.

10. The lighting bolt bass that he used in the mid seventys looked like an Alembic to me, I believe I even have it documenterd somewhere in all the various WHO info I have. I will dig around a bit to see if I can come up with something...

Just look at the woods used, laminations and overall quality of it. Who else was doing
    -anything- like it way back then????????

During that same period Entwistle played other more traditional shaped Alembics which had very recognisable Alembic features just prior to us seeing him play the lightining bolt bass.

We need help from the U.K.on this one!
    Hey Bruce,, Andy,, you guys out there?? a little help here if you know any more info..

The t-bird basses you mention were actually hybrids which he put together, comprising of mainly t-bird bodies with p-bass or j-bass necks. Check out pictures of the headstocks..
    you can see the Fender logo's.

But in closing , I wouldn't say I am jealous of you having a USA Spector, I am perfectly happy with mt NS2000-5, for my ability and level of playing it's 'da kine bra'!!! [​IMG]:

11. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    Entwisle used the hybrid Fender/Gibson basses in the early seventies. On "The Who by numbers" he had switched to a ´64 Thunderbird. The he went with Alembic.

12. I contacted Alembic today. I asked if they had ever made any 'Lightening Bolt" basses for John Entwistle, Bassist for The Who.

They didn't know what I ment by "lightening bolt" shape, however, they did say that they made seventeen (17) basses for Mr. Entwistle,
    most of which had "Explorer" style bodies.

Now look at a picture of any Gibson Explorer and then compare that body shape to what I have been calling John's "lightening bolt" bass and that IS definitly a match!!!!

So case closed. Alembic did indeed make the bass...and according to Alembic, alot more just than one! [​IMG]

13. Bruce Lindfield

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RIZ:

We need help from the U.K.on this one!
    Hey Bruce,, Andy,, you guys out there?? a little help here if you know any more info..
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err... sorry, I don't know much more about this - how about a link to the UK magazine Guitarist, who reviewed the Buzzard some time ago :
    http://www.guitarist.co.uk/gear/gear_page.asp?ID=512

14. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAM:
    Hey Riz...I happen to like my Spector! I'm tired of spending endless sums of money on gear. B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we could only spend $200 to get the same quality, we would. We don't spend the money to be gaudy. We spend it because that's the price we pay to get the quality gear we desire!

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The "lightning"-shape Alembic that John played in the '70s was known as "the spider bass". He had three identical basses built to celebrate 'Boris The Spider'. The body has a silver inlay of a spider's web on the front.

There is a good photo of this instrument in 'The Bass Book'.

It's worth noting that the original Buzzard was made by Warwick, and it was when they ceased production of it that John turned to Status to produce a version of the instrument.

David

16. David-

Are you sure it was only 3 spider basses?
    According to the reply I rec'd from Ms. Mica Wickersham/co-owner of Alembic, she said and I quote;
    "We made John 17 basses, most of them were Explorer bodies, with spider web
    inlays and the notes inlaid on the neck. Lightning bolt? I dunno, sorry.

Best regards,
    Mica

M i c a W i c k e r s h a m
    A l e m b i c, I n c. | 3 0 0 5 W i l j a n C o u r t
    S a n t a R o s a, C A 9 5 4 0 7
    p| 707.523.2611 f| 707.523.2935"
    unquote

So, "Most of" 17 = more than 3 - doesn't it?

17. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's been a while since I read 'The Bass Book', so I may well be wrong.

To me, 17 Alembic basses, most of which were identical Explorer-style instruments seems a little excessive, even for John. I expect that several variations of the design were produced, and that the "spider bass" version constituted a small proportion of the overall collection. (Just an educated guess.)

I will check in 'The Bass Book' as soon as possible.

David

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Benyahia:
    The "lightning"-shape Alembic that John played in the '70s was known as "the spider bass". He had three identical basses built to celebrate 'Boris The Spider'. The body has a silver inlay of a spider's web on the front.

There is a good photo of this instrument in 'The Bass Book'.

It's worth noting that the original Buzzard was made by Warwick, and it was when they ceased production of it that John turned to Status to produce a version of the instrument.

David
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "lightening bolt bass" was definitely NOT an Alembic. It may have been a Gibson, and I believe it was a one-off. The Spider Bass, on the other hand, was different, and that WAS made by Alembic. John did have 17 basses made for him by Alembic, all variations on his main "Spider" bass. He had 4 and 8 string basses, some had regular "triangular" headstocks, while others had the "double triangle"-thing going. I don't know the technical name for them. Most of them featured the silver-inlaid spider web on the upper portion of the bass' body, and also had the names of the notes inlaid in the fretboard. Another custom feature of his basses were, according to Mica Wickersham, "an incredibly flat neck so he could get the strings really low...so low in fact, that we had trouble setting it up for him!"

He stopped using the Alembics when he designed the Buzzard. He approached Warwick to build him some, and that's what he used until about 1994/1995. He voluntarily approached Status to build him an all-graphite bass because he was tired of the neck warpage on wooden basses.

I was told by a guy from Trace Elliot back in 1995 that SUPPOSEDLY his buzzard was also made by Modulus before going to Status, but the Modulus featured a wood-body and graphite neck. This has never been confirmed, however.

19. superqwertyboy

superqwertyboy

Mar 14, 2007
    new york