Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Eclipse Artist 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SmallFace, Jan 20, 2003.

1. I have been offered a Status Eclipse Artist 5 as a trade for my '64 Burns Vista Sonic. As far as I know, this particular model is equipped with a neck in graphite and also quite expensive. I have never played (or seen) a Status and do not know very much about them. What do you think? I'm not asking you to decide whether I should do the trade or not, I just want some opinions on the Eclipse Artist or Status in general. Are they hand-built, and what does the graphite-neck do for the sound?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played several Status models, and believe one or two were Eclipse Artist models. They were very consistently built, no noticeable flaws, and played beautifully! They also have a wide spectrum of useable tones, which makes them all-the-nicer.

The one problem I've had with many graphite-neck basses, Status included, is that the upper mids tend to sound harsh. It's important to point out that Not everybody feels as I do, however.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I've played a few of these in shops in London and while they are well-built and have good playability,I just don't like the tone.

There were times when I was tempted, as they are good value for money and a lot cheaper in Britain than similar quality, imported (e.g. U.S. made) basses - but I just couldn't get past the tone in the end.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have a Status Empathy 5 (graphite neck) and a Status S1 5 (earlier wooden neck). Status' are great instruments, very well built, great attention to detail, great action/playability and have some of the best fret work I've seen. Graphite projects low end and low mids clearly but, as mentioned, can be a bit strong in the high mid area. I found I was able to EQ these tones out, however, with a few simple adjustments on my amp.