Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Energy makes crackling noises when instrument cable is moved

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, May 8, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Hi, I'm not really sure if this is the right forum, as my problem seems to be more electronics related.

Thing is, I used to believe my cable had gone bad, as my Status Energy, which I bought used last year often sent crackling noises out of my speakers when I was walking around while playing or moved my instrument cable in any way. I replaced the cable, but the crackling noise was still there. Just for kicks, I just plugged in my old Ibanez ATK (now defretted) and guess what: no crackle whatsoever. What do you think could be wrong? Could it be the jack? I had to replace my ATK's input jack a few years ago as it simply stopped working, but as far as I know, ATKs are notorious for having crappy jacks. What do you think? Lots of thanks in advance.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, the input jack would be a good place to start.

3. Sounds like input jack to me. Maybe a loose wire in the bass.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks for the replies, guys, I guess I'll have a look into the electronics cavity today. I wonder what's a good replacement jack, though, my bass seems to have the variety you also find on amps, effects pedals and other things.

[​IMG]

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Crud. The input jack seems to be soldened to the circuit bord, which I have no idea how to remove. I think this is going to be nasty.

[​IMG]

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The board has to come out to desolder it and solder in a new one. That type of PCB mounted socket can be had from standard electronics suppliers, not neccessarily guitar shops. Alternatively, contact Status and ask for a replacement.

If you don't know how to desolder a component properly from a board, get someone to do it that does know what they're doing or else you could make it worse by damaging the board.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Phew, I'm sorry for not reporting back earlier, but I was busy playing with my new Digitech Synth Wah which arrived today. :ninja:

Anyway, the crackle mysteriosly disappeared, I guess my cleaning out the electronics compartment with a vacuum cleaner must have fixed the problem.

I think I also bent the red cable that you can see in the second picture I posted a bit so it wasn't touching the wall of the compartment any more, so perhaps that did the trick.

If you think that's unlikely, I have no idea what could have made it go away. Magic, perhaps? :confused: