Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Energy (the one with jazz p/u's and the headstock)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    First, I apologize for creating this thread because I know that there have been *somewhat* similar threads created in the past. I tried a PM to an admitted owner of this bass, but haven't heard back yet.

Anyway, I'm looking at possibly getting a used Status Energy 4-string that I found online. According to Rob Greene of Status, it was likely built around '97. It features two jazz pickups, active pre and a headstock (as opposed to the headless Energys). The body is made out of walnut (natural finish) and it features a rosewood fingerboard.

Though the ad says the neck is part graphite, I'm skeptical, based upon what I've read. Has anyone played this? If so, what are your thoughts? Does $699.00 sound like a good deal for one that appears to be in excellent condition?

Any info would be most appreciated and again, apologies for the thread clutter.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That sounds like a fair price, if it's in good or better condition.

What are you skeptical of regarding graphite necks?

3. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    I'm not skeptical of graphite necks themselves - just of whether or not this one actually has one.

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Did you try to PM me perhaps? (since I do own that bass)

Regarding your questions:
    It is a part-graphite neck, it's basically a maple neck with some graphite strips for more stability. It sure is stable, the strings are never really out of tune (and I tune it once a week) but that might also be because of the old, dead strings which happen to be on it.
    About those sevenhundred bucks, I think it's worth it, since I almost paid the same. It's a good, stable and reliable bass. The bad thing was that I don't like the finish, you can practically scratch it off...I don't know what that stuff's called...polyurethane or so. But if you've got a rough playing style, then the place where your thumb rests will leave some traces on the finish.
    But mine's got a black finish, so it's very visible. For the natural finished ones, it's no problem at all.

The tone is good, lots of bass and lots of definition...volume per string is really balanced, and the bass sounds the way you play. That can be good, that can be bad.

I hope this is of some use to you,
    Niels.

5. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Niels - yep, that was you whom I PM'd. Thanks for the info - very helpful!