Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Energy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hujo, Apr 6, 2002.

1. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi all. I've spotted a nice bass, and I would like to hear if anyone has any experience with it. It's a Status Energy (i think). 5 strings, neck felt like a 35-scale, 24 frets, two "HyperActive" soapbars. Three piece maple neck. Fingerboard kind of looked like rosewood, but was lighter, and more beige/brown. I read somewhere that Status had made other basses with walnut boards... Could it be walnut? The bass had three controls, one was volume, two of them had center detents, and one sounded like a pan-pot, but the third one kind of bugs me, since i didn't hear big differerence either way i turned it. If it was a treble roll-off, why did it have a center detent?

So, my question is; has anyone played owned one of these? Comments? Pros / Cons? Anything to watch out for? And does anyone know anything about the mysterious third knob?

EDIT: Maybe i should add, that the price is the equivalent of $700. It's been hanging in the shop for quite a while with a tag of $1300, and now the store-owners wants to move it.

Thanks for your help!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played a few Status', but never the Energy model.

That third knob is a mystery to me. It sounds like a tone knob, but should have an effect on the bass and treble. Does the instrument have 9 volts or 18 volts?

I'd contact Rob Green at Status, which you can do directly from Status' website to find out more about that instrument. The site is www.status-graphite.com

Don't worry if it takes him a couple of days to respond. He always does respond.

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the tip, Ram. I just sent them an email.

Does anyone know if 700 is a fair price for this model?

4. I tried an Energy Artist (i e with a fancy wood top) 5 a few years ago, back in the days when most of Status' basses were made out of wood with only graphite rods in the necks, and I really liked the neck. It was so easy to play, and, like most Statuses of the day, it was a 34' scale. Didn't have any money back then, so I didn't plug it in, and if I recall correctly, they sold it for approx 9-10 000 kr, and it was used. Didn't sit on the shelf more than a couple of days, or so it seemed. What I'm trying to say is, 7 000 seems like a good price, especially if it's new, so go for it!
    And BTW, maybe the bass in question only need a fresh battery for the third control to work properly. Try putting one in the next time you play it, then decide if you want to buy it.
    Lycka till, and don't forget to tell us everything about your new bass, if you buy it, that is.

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks man! Yeah, the neck is really nice. Good idea with the battery.

6. I just found an old catalog from Polysonic, who distributed Status basses Sweden back in 1999, hiding in an equally old issue of Musikermagasinet. And it states that the electronics of the Energy bass (and probably those from the same era as the one you're considering) consists of a master volume, pick up pan and a treble boost/cut-pot. It also has a pre set eq, just like the new Statuses.
    The cheapest model, i e 4-string, would, back in those days, set you back at 11 400 kr. So, as I stated earlier, the price you quoted seems fair.
    Oh, and if you're interrested, I can scan the catalog page and e mail it to you. Just drop me a message or something. :)

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    thanks man, check your pm!

8. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I own a status energy 4-string myself, but it is an older model, since it has a 34 inch neck and jazz pickups.
    I didn't quite like it in the beginning, because you could practically scratch the paint of (very very light polyurethane finish or so), but it's cool to own an exotic (SORT OF) bass with a nice "beat up" look. It plays like a dream, I've been using the same strings for about seven months and it has a nice dark, thumpy tone. I wouldn't say growling, but that's just the Ampeg B100r I'm using to amplify it's tone.

Oh well, I think you wouldn't make a bad decision. It's my main bass, but that's easy for someone who has no money and with the option of a weird defretted Ibanez bass from 1982...:(

I didn't like the "Gas attack" model. Too many knobs.......dude...

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah...the coveted Mark King bass:D

Look at some of the old posts on the Yahoo club for Status bass guitars. You'll see a ton of good stuff on these basses;)

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Update: I borrowed the bass to try it out at rehersal tonight, but unfortunately the amp i usually use was broken, so I had to play through an old Torque-thing, that really couldn't handle the B-string. Other than that, I like it. The strings are very zingy, but I can feel the good tone that will come when the strings get a little older. I changed the battery, and now the treble boost/cut works great. I might just buy this thing! I'll post a more detailed review if i do!

Thanks for your help guys!