Status fretless neck for a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sawzalot, Jul 24, 2018.

1. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Has anyone any experience with a Status Graphite fretless neck on a Stingray? I really want a Sterling or Stingray fretless, leaning towards the Stingray, but they are hard to come by used and EBMM is currently not producing any new according to their customer service dept. So I'm considering buying a used Stingray, which are not hard to come by, and putting a Status Graphite fretless neck on it. I've seen a few of these on TB and am wondering if anyone can relate their direct experience.

Specifically I'm wondering about how it affects the tone, sustain, how the bass "sings" (AKA "mwah"), balance, playability, etc. Sound samples would be a huge bonus.

Thanks!

Tom

2. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  3. sawzalot

Oct 18, 2007
    I saw the two GC entries, but I'm looking for a 3-band with fret lines. And yes, the Sterlings are still available fretless, but EBMM customer service says they're only producing fretted Stingrays as they launch the new Stingray Special line.

4. I've had a Status fretted neck on my Stingray at several points over the last few years and have always come back to the stock one. There's a noticeable difference in sound. It seems like the highs are lower, so that they become high high mids, and the lows aren't as big or pillowy. The difference in tone is somewhat akin to switching from incandescent bulbs to fluorescent. There's also less responsiveness to the dynamics of your playing. To me it's too much of a change from the original character of the bass and its sound, which was why I bought it in the first place.

5. sawzalot

Oct 18, 2007
    Hah one of those GC stingray's just became mine. Transitional period between MusicMan and Ernie Ball, so it has the bullet truss rod but an Ernie Ball logo. The guy at the store says the defret job was really well done. The body's a little rough but the price is definitely right. Interested to hear how a fretless maple board sounds...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021