Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

status-graphic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newburyohio, Jun 18, 2002.

1. newburyohio

newburyohio Banned

Feb 15, 2002
    USA
    Hey, just bought an ebay disaster bass.

Anybody have experience with these. Says Status on pickups.

•bolt on graphite neck
    •no truss rod
    •lined fretless
    •orange/red plastic body
    •natural brass hardware
    •J bass style active electronics

Body has cracks in neck pocket. What type of glue to use?

Neck is badly grooved from roundwounds. How to resurface?

Bass was purchased in completely dissasembled state. Need wiring diagram.

How does bridge work? Saddles are all individual pieces that sit on block of brass.

I'm anxious to put her together and see how she works.

Thanks!

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that is a no-truss rod Stratus bass.
    they are alright as long as the neck isn't already warped. i heard that they are fine.

steve

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Stratus, huh???

I'd recommend contacting Rob Green at Status at www.status-graphite.com to see if he might be of some assistance. He may be able to help. If so, he's known for flawless work...but it might cost you...and, that's assuming he can do it.

Best of luck;)

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    sorry about that. i work at a chrysler, plymouth dealer. and i hear that alot.
    i meant status.

steve

5. Ok, looks like you got a Status Graphite series 4000 bass, I think. Is it headless? if so the saddle pieces fit onto the screw threads on the knurled tuning knobs which fit through the back of the bridge block.

The neck, being graphite, with a 'phenolic' fingerboard, presents a refinishing problem, I suspect. They don't generally warp, but a new fingerboard may be necessary.

In working order, Status basses are high quality instruments, with great balance, playability and sound. You could try contacting the maker, Rob Green, at Status Graphite in Maldom, Essex, England

http://www.status-graphite.com/

Hope I have been of help.

6. newburyohio

newburyohio Banned

Feb 15, 2002
    USA
    A little more info:

•bridge saddles are truly free-floating. They are held in place by 2 allen screws that push in from the side and lock saddles together lile G&L saddle-lock bridge.

•3 pots for electronics, 2 hard-wired to board. Nomenclature on pc board "GMT PRE-SET 1".

•input jack on face on body

•2 9 volt batteries

I did get a reply from Rob Green, thank you, but he can't say what it is. Recommends reassembly and evaluation. I guess I can trial and error the wiring hookup. But what can I use to glue the body cracks on this composite body. Anybody know what it is? It's not wood.

7. Status Intruments is located in Colchester actually, bout 5 miles away from me :D
    Isn't there an American Status office?

*Si*

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I agree with Steve-it sounds like a 4000.

The 4000 replaced the 3000 about 89-90. The only difference was the body. It is some sort of plastic-I dont know what. If it were my bass I would try superglue (US crazyglue?) for small cracks and for bigger work, Aruldite (2 part epoxy glue-mix it up yourself).

The oe electrics were two 'status hyperactive J's' (Kent Armstrong) and an 18v preset circuit with a knob for 'those all important highs'. Sales hype aside it's a preset graphic curve \__/ now imagine a standard passive tone control on top of that with a centre click so it appears like an active treble control (flat on click with boost and cut either side) but its only cutting-with me?

Some of the Status fretless basses had a wooden fretboard option. You could get any luthier to replace the board but I seem to remember that the relief is adjusted by the board (cos its a solid neck with no truss rod).

I had a 3000 and played some of the 4000's when they came out, in good condition these basses are excellent, hope you can fix it.

9. newburyohio

newburyohio Banned

Feb 15, 2002
    USA
    Thank you guys for all the great feedback. There is good feedback and usefull feedback.

I have successfully sanded and repolished a phenolic fingerboard on a Kramer fretless. I'll the same on this board which is actually not as bad. Curiously, the board wear on both basses is the worst in the same area - on the g string from "c" on up. To play an instrument and never maintain it, can't imagine.

I'll try the 2-part epoxy. The cracks are fairly long and are stress cracks at the screw holes for the neck mount. They can be glued from inside the neck pocket. I'll use a tool to carve them out a bit to get more glue into the cracks which go all the way through the body.

This is the first time I've used this service. Had no idea it would be this much fun and rewarding.

I'll get back with results in a couple of weeks. Why don't I post some pics. Yeah, I'll do that.

Later,
    Mike

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nope.

11. Silly sod that I am!! Of course Status are in Colchester! I was thinking of Trace Elliot who were in Maldon.

12. newburyohio

newburyohio Banned

Feb 15, 2002
    USA
    Hello again,

Started assembly of the bass. I've 99% identified it through Yahoo and Talkbass as a 4000. Blood red, serial number 61 stamped in top of brass on headstock. 1998 or '99?

Need help, please.

1. Missing neck to body hardware - screws and bushings - and saddle mounting bracket to body screws - what size and I can get locally.

2. Strings - what size recommended to not overstress neck.

3. Wiring diagram - the sod, I think that's the proper word, who sold me this clipped all the wiring and I haven't a clue what goes where.

4. Wires are clipped clean on back of pickups - can I dig into the epoxy to expose wire to solder new leads?

The user groups have been a tremendous help. They are very enthusiastic about the Status product and I'm really itching to hook this up and see what all the excitement is about.

PS - never played a Status before.