Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Graphite Artist 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djphil, Mar 16, 2004.

1. I had someone today offer me a Status Graphite Artist 5 bass for my Spector, and I've looked around and can't even find the model on Status' site! Anyone know anything about these basses or have pictures or anything? Thanks guys.

2. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I found a link to their old site that has the Artist on it.

Old Status Site

3. Whoa. Kinda like a Moddy Q. Hmm... anyone have any experience with this bass, or Status basses in general? I'm really not wanting a graphite-based instrument anymore, as I just can't find one to test out, and my last Modulus (Flea 4) sounded way different than what I wanted and expected, so I'm pretty wary on this deal. But I get to try out some Laklands Thursday, so I'll see if I even really want one of those! Any input would be great on this/any Status bass.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played a few. The red 5 string on the old website is similar to the one I played in person, except it was 4 strings. It had the lowest action with no fretbuzz I've ever heard! The neck has a narrow nut and is more rounded in the profile. It's pretty darned comfortable.

The electronics are incredibly powerful! Plain and simple...powerful, and easy to get a lot of useful tones.

The thing I don't like about graphite is the upper-mid bump I've heard, particularly from Modulus (even with Barts) and Status. I do like Status better than Modulus, though, as it has more useful tones and more warmth to it.

5. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Im no expert as Ive only played a couple of Status basses, but Ive owned a Modulus and played a couple of Zons as well. As far as graphite basses go, they all seem to share the same advantages (great action, killer sustain, weather tolerance, lightweight) but they also have similar sounds. Of the graphite basses Ive tryed I never could get into the Modulus with EMGs, but Zons, Status, and Modulus with Barts all work well for me. If you dont care for the "Modern" sound or dont like alot of punch, you wont be happy with any Status. They do play great though and are a little less harsh to my ears than the Modulus basses. I would recommend trying an eclipse artist if you can find one. Its a pretty affordable way to get into a bass with killer action and a great neck. The pickups are definatly going to be hot though.

Joe

6. Hmm... How much does these models about run for? Someone is offering me a trade for one of these basses for my Spector NS5, and I'm just not too keen on trading it without actually playing a Status, which sucks, because it's not like they have dealers really around here, or anywhere that I've even heard of.

So, predicament... I don't want to get it, have it for about 2 weeks, then sell it because I hate it like I did my Flea 4, and then have to go through all of that again to finally get my Lakland. We'll see.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Bass Centre in London used to carry the whole range of these basses and I spend days trying them all. As has been said - they felt good to play, low action, nice fast neck and very comfortable. Also - well made and good value for money over here.

But the killer for me, was the tone - I just couldn't get the sound I wanted - I guess, I just like the sound of wood and nothing else will do!! :meh:

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The weird thing about Status' is their resale value. I've seen models go for as low as $650 (Brad Johnson tipped us off about that) to as high as $1500 and more.

IIRC, several months ago Bass Palace had the 4 string Limited Edition in Red on their website for $1,600 used.

9. Bruce Lindfield

The thing is that until recently they had a very wide range, with all sorts of options and new in the UK, they used to vary in price widely - so some are bolt-on wood models with graphite reinforcement - up to through-neck, all-graphite models and special editions etc etc.

So - when I was trying these basses a few years ago - there were models that started at about £600, up to about £3,000....!

10. That's what I think. I've had a graphite bass before and hated it. So, I'm thinking I'll just go Lakland... if I like 'em! Otherwise, I'll still be rocking the NS5.

11. I agree with most of the posts. Status is a little easier on the ears than Modulus or Zon. Status basses are extremely hot! The slap sound is wicked (think Kim Stone and Mark King). I have 2 Trace Elliot T-Basses which were made by Status, and even with the graphite reinforced wood necks, it has sick tone. The pickups and electronics are unreal.

12. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    You might want to look into the value if you are still considering this. The Eclipse artist is a bolt on with nice pickups and an exotic top. They usually go for $850-1100 depending on the bass but this is not one of the top models. The ones Ive seen sale for $1500 are the decked out neckthrough models with crazy options (LEDs, 11 laminants, colored graphite weave, ect) and the market is not so hot right now. Most of you have seen Phogchris`s Empathy in the for sale section. Its a through neck with 18volt preamp and a quilted top. I just him a check for $850 for that bass and its 6 months old ($3000 list). If you arent sure about status I woukdnt risk it.

Joe

13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Last year I bought a new Status Kingbass standard on ebay for $1200. It was a leftover from a music store in Arizona. I can only say it's worth every penny. I had never played one before and bought it on blind faith - no regrets! It's a mahogany body with a rosewood cap and a bolt on graphite neck with dual action truss rod, 2 Status pickups and 18 volt electronics (bass and treble boost/cut, and a sweepable mid with a mini switch that gives either 6 dB boost or cut or runs flat). The neck is similar to a Fender C profile, wide but thin front to back.
    This bass just rocks! Right now I have flats on it and it'll still punch through the mix easily. A definite throaty midrange that can get as raunchy as you like, but easily tamed with the control. Extremely well made with top notch hardware. The company also provides excellent support. I keep this bass in regular rotation - definitely a keeper.

P.S. Status strings are also first rate - if you have a Steinberger L or XL definitely check them out. They are calibrated per Steiner specs, cheaper than LaBella's, and come round, half-round and flat.

14. Hmm... Well, if I could get a number as to what these things or worth it'd make my decision a little bit easier. It sounds like it's approximately the same as my Spector, but if as Bassman says, the market for them really isn't all that great, will I have a problem reselling it if I just end up really disliking it. Plus, I just have to keep telling myself that I want a Lakland because of it's various tonal abilities, but if when I go check one out and dislike it, I'll hit up the Status and just see where it goes from there.

15. Bruce Lindfield

As I mentioned there are different models - so, I'm still not sure what we're talking about exactly, as there were several different "Artists" - Energy, Eclipse, Empathy etc. ........

16. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Aye, Their is an Eclipse Artist and an Energy Artist model. The Energy is sopposed to be even less expensive but Ive never seen one. Their is also an Eclipse limited thats red with chrome pickups, but im sure they would have specified that in the trade offer. Heres a link to the old site where you can check out the basses.

http://www.status-graphite.com/oldsite/basspage.htm

Peace,
    Joe

17. Thanks guys. I think I found my Lakland trade today anyhow. 55-02 Deluxe, 3-tone burst. EXACTLY what I wanted. All's well. :)